My new coop (New photos-finished)

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
We had some bad spring storms, and my old coop was taken out with 100 mile an hour straight line winds, the old coop was in a bad location anyway, so I decided a new coop was the way to go. My BF's son is helping me with the build, and all the wood is from my BF's ranch from trees killed by fire, and cut on our own saw mill.
Posts in, then a snow storm hit
61064_chicken_039.jpg

most of the back and rafters up
61064_chicken_040.jpg

west side started and small windows in
61064_chicken_041.jpg

most of the front done, large windows face the south
61064_chicken_044.jpg

looking at it from the east, there is 1 small window, and the back will be solid to block the wind from the north
61064_chicken_045.jpg

almost done, door not on yet, pop doors need to be cut out,and front drip board needs to be put on. It has been stained natural cedar
61064_chicken_048.jpg

I will be building the inside pens and putting up the nest box over the next few days. The coop is 14x24 with a 14x12 covered overhang for a snow free winter run area. The main layer pen is 12x14, with a 6 hole rear roll out nest box, and there will be 2 7x8 breeder/grow out pens and a 4' walkway/storage area between the main pen and breeder pens. I don't think I'll get the outside pens done till spring.

Last edited:
Wow. Your chicken coop is bigger than my shed! What a project to undertake yourself. You must have lots of room for chickens, how many do you usually keep?

Very, very nice. May I offer one piece of advice though? Since your old one was hit bu high wind, you might want to think about hurricane straps on those rafters tails.

Actually the way the vertical siding boards run...they are tying it all together. So scrap what I said, LOL Good Job:thumbsup

Last edited:
I've had help with the things I didn't know how to do like framing the windows, and the roof. I don't do roofs, I break to easy now when I fall off. Notice I said when, not if I fall off. I've done that, it hurts. I built the door, its just not up yet, and I built the nest box and have to mount it, might need some help with that. I'll be working on it tomorrow, hope to get the inside pens done, and pop doors cut. Electric is in, and lights up today. Over the weekend I hope to get the leanto area done and fenced in.
I usually have about 30 chickens, right now I've got a few more than that with roos that need to go in the freezer.

How much are you going to sell your eggs for to cover the cost of this fancy place? $150 a dozen ? Lucky birds; I'd live there!
We do the same thing--- we just keep putting more & more & more $$ into our coop. Our 'addition' includes 2 skylights & a brooder area. My boyfriend who's building it was impressed with yours- he said, "boy, they don't mess around!"
I can't wait to see your finished product!

Thanks, yea, I guess the eggs will go for $150-$200 a dozen, I'm waiting for one of the hens to lay the golden egg. It really wasn't that expensive, the logs for the lumber were free, I did have to cut them down, and my BF cut the lumber on the saw mill, the windows were free, the stain was about $100. and the wire for the electric was about $300. My BF has a dozer and filled and leveled the ground for me, the rest was my time and work on my days off.

I got the outside done over the weekend, worked on the inside pens today. I got the large layer pen done
celebrate.gif
, and one of the breeder/growout pens mostly done, but I need to change/fix the roosts in both of them and finish putting the wire on the last one. Even tho I'm not quite done I did move everyone in tonight, we are going to be getting some very cold weather by the end of the week, 0 or below, so I wanted to get them in.
I'll try to get more photos tomorrow.
I do have a problem that will have to wait to be fixed next spring once it warms up some. I left for a little while on Saterday, and while I was gone the guys put the pop doors up for me, but they put them on the outside
barnie.gif
th.gif
so I guess I'll just nail them shut for now.
I also need to get the outside fence up for the layer pen, but that will be easy if I have some nice weather.

Back
Top Bottom