My new coop, see anything wrong?

ts72712

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
I just finished my coop last friday, took me about a month. I believe I got the design from this forum somewhere. I just tried to get my alpha rooster to walk up the ramp with a bit of food in my fingers...well they all seem to not like the ramp anyone know why? I'd hate to have put all this effort into the coop just for them to sleep outside!
sad.png
They keep trying to sleep where my hen is in the first pic on that 2x4.
sad.png

The run as well as the underside of the coop is enclosed in wire.

Smaller side, roost just inside the drop down door there.
110672_1.jpg

Rotate to the left to the taller side, double doors about one half to one inch gap between the doors.
110672_2.jpg

The Ramp
110672_3.jpg

Double Doors open(Taller side)
110672_4.jpg

Drop down door open(Smaller side,roost area)
110672_5.jpg

The attached run is 8'x8' I plan to make it 16'x16'ish next year. The coop it's self is around 4'x8' floor area and 5' at it's tallest end, sits about 2 foot off the ground. By my calculations thats plenty of room for 8 chickens? I only have 4 right now.

Last edited:
How big is the opening to the pop door it looks rather small. If I were you I would paint the plywood, or it swell and rot much faster then if painted.
Michele

Quote:
Ya it's just barly big enough for the boys to get through. You mean paint the ramp? ya I should, i didn't think of that. But by the look of it they should be going in and out just fine? They're laying under the coop right now, should i just leave them be? or should I go out and catch them and put them in the coop? Hate stressing them out like that.

The door isn't big enough, it should be at least 12 inches x 12 inches. The painting thing, I mean the coop.
Michele

Quote:
The coop is painted, the outside anyway, base coat intierior paint, pink exterior paint, then covered in some spray can stuff I had sitting around so it's not so pink. lol.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you get a piece of metal or plastic roofing material and place it directly under the roost area. This way you can pick up the majority of the droppings once or twice a week and put it on your garden etc. Makes cleaning the coop a bit easier.

maizy'smom :

Just wondering how wide the roost-bar is? If they aren't comfortable on it, maybe that's why they use the 2x4 in the lower area?

mm

it's about 4' wide I read they need about 1' per bird on the roost, my problem seems to be getting them INTO the coop. I just got back in from catching them, I'd set them at the top of the ramp and they walk right in like "oh yeah! I forgot this was here!". Then of course they pig out because their food is in the coop.​

Back
Top Bottom