My new coop, see anything wrong?

Quote:
I keep it in there because I don't like mushy food when it rains.
sad.png
I've been going out around 5pm to throw some handfuls of food in the run so they don't starve. Poor things don't remember there is food inside the coop
sad.png
But this has only been their second day in the run, I'm hoping they figure it out soon.

1st week and a half I had chickens trying to roost all over my 50x40 barn but after a little help they ALL know where they sleep. Give it some time

Quote:
When I finished the coop friday I locked them in the coop for 2 days and 3 nights not letting them out at all untill the 3rd morning. Once they're inside they don't seem scared like they did the first night, I just put them all inside for the night and watched them through the vent and they was walking around pecking the wood and the metal roof afew times while they waited for the alpha male to finish pigging out. I think I just need to get them into the habit of going into the coop at night, their "old coop" was a little dog house sitting on the ground, they slept in there...on the ground. Poor things

I agree -- your birds are beautiful!!!

Do they have access under the coop? I would keep their food there, so it is available all day.

What I notice is that your roost is round. The ideal roost is the wide side of a 2"x4", so when they roost their feet are flat against the board. In this manner their body will cover their feet in the cold and their toes will be less subjected to frostbite.

Paint, inside and out will help your coop hold up longer against the elements.

Jenny

I feed only outside. Say what you will but I've found chickens don't care to go back inside to eat. I have mine roam all day and I see them all going to the feeder and water at least 6 to 8 times a day. And they do eat about a pound a day of layer.

One thing I see that I would change on the coop is the width on the ladder. I wouldn't have the ladder any wider than the steps. I would also change the spacing of the steps to 5 inches. I had mine too far apart to start with and noticed the chickens stumbling and not reaching each step. I put them closer and fixed that problem. My pop door is only 10 inches wide and 14 inches tall and my rooster which is a GLW, a pretty good sized rooster, has no problem with it.

As far as knowing where to go to roost, the only problem I had was the first night none of them knew where to go. 5 of them went on in after I put a low light emiter in the coop window. It was lighter inside than outside so that's what they went to. Three wanted to roost on the coop roof. So I waited till after dark went up there, got um and put them in the coop with the light on. 2 days and they knew what I wanted and everything has gone fine since.

All my feeding and watering is done outside. I do not want and moisture inside the coop. I do have vinyl down with the sand over it so moisture really wouldn't hurt the coop, but I just don't want to start it.

This is just me and nobody else.
big_smile.png

Great job!
I agree with MissJenny, the roost should not be round.
Also, if they are used to sleeping on ground, it will probably just take them awhile to decide to sleep inside.
Some of my chickens sleep right next to one another, and others sleep totally away from the others, and mostly they sleep with about 5 inches of so between them.

Nice chickens!

smile.png

to the original question.. instead of nit picking on minor details like everybody else..

To get the birds to know where home is... you need to hand catch them all, lock them inside the new coup for a couple days to a week... feed/ water them inside.. and after the rehoming process, they'll realize where home is. This will also teach them were to lay eggs, if that's the point in which they are at.

Back
Top Bottom