My new coop!

Looks good. My chickens prefer to lay eggs up higher. You might want to consider raising the milk crates up. Snakes can get to eggs on the ground too. I live in florida so snakes are an issue. We have rat snakes or pine snakes that go after eggs here. The chickens do feel safer higher up even when roosting. I saw roosting set up once where the owner had poop trays under that came out easily for cleaning. You have a good start and you will adjust it, I am sure, as you go and discover what works best for you. I am just suggesting ideas.

Caroline

Quote: Originally Posted by mommyoftwo

What kind of fence did you use
Looks like 14ga 2"x4" welded wire fence with solid forged T-posts...can get it at any farm store.

..............you got it!

Quote:
I don't really have a snake problem here, and in my barn we had raised nesting area, and they layed their eggs on the floor under the manger...haha..so we thought we would start with this first and see if they liked it, i have 12 chickens, and half lay outside on the groung (the newbies) and half lay inside, behind the milk crates, go figure!

I don't really have a snake problem here, and in my barn we had raised nesting area, and they layed their eggs on the floor under the manger...haha..so we thought we would start with this first and see if they liked it, i have 12 chickens, and half lay outside on the groung (the newbies) and half lay inside, behind the milk crates, go figure!
Snakes can get to eggs whatever the height of the nest...if they want.

You might want to try putting some fake eggs in the nests, then locking the hens in the coop for a few days to a couple weeks to train them to lay in the nests....sounds like you may have had chickens before, so you may already know that trick.

Last edited:
Snakes can get to eggs whatever the height of the nest...if they want.

You might want to try putting some fake eggs in the nests, then locking the hens in the coop for a few days to a couple weeks to train them to lay in the nests....sounds like you may have had chickens before, so you may already know that trick.
that is what we did with the original 6 and I guess I was just hoping that the new 5 girlswould follow, but are not, I'm waiting for the pecking order the smooth out and then will lock them in for a few days and see how that goes....

Very nice!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom