My New Coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cetawin, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    DH had 2 coops made for me, a 4 x 6 for my ducks and a 6 x 8 for my bantams and they arrived today [​IMG]. The 4 x 6 has a divider wall down the middle making 2 pens, 4 plexiglass windows covered in 1/2" hardwire cloth, one large nest box per pen, lower nests boxes and pop doors, light outlet and switch, 2 outlet box for plugging in whatever I need, all I have to do is put coon proof latches on the doors and nest boxes, stain outside and paint inside, add shavings and they are ready to move in.

Coops arriving today:

[​IMG]

4 x 6 for ducks

[​IMG]

Divider Wall - one side will have adults and the other a Hen and her ducklings

[​IMG]

Larger nest box - One per pen area that has been lowered to accomodate a duck

[​IMG]

the 6 x 8 Bantam coop which has 3 pens, 6 plexiglass windows covered with 1/2" hardwire cloth, ladder style roosts in each pen, 3 pens with divider walls and 1/2" hardwire cloth, 2 nest boxes per pen, light outlight and switch, 2 outlet plug to plug in whatever I need. Just need to add coon proof latches to pop door, nest boxes and main door, stain outside and paint inside, add shavings and occupants may move in.

Three windows per side, 2 per pen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roosts, ladder style in each pen

[​IMG]

Divider wall with hardwire cloth and door into next pen

[​IMG]

2 nest boxes, 2 per pen (shows close up of one window and wiring. The plug in for extension cord is outside under the nest boxes all switches and outlets are above the door with light bulb in center of coop up high

[​IMG]

I have both stained on the outside and the 4 x 6 has the first coat of paint inside. I will get pics tomorrow when there is more light outside. Ceiling is 6' door is 2'w x 4' tall so I just have to duck a bit to go inside but have plenty of room to stand up inside. Roosts were made smaller at my request for bantams and modifications for the ducks. Nests box enlarged for my large ducks, lowered for duck to enter and pop door lowere to make it easier for the ducks. Rungs were removed from their ramp as well. Their pop door folds down and becomes their ramp and has a shingle in place on them to avoid slippery surface.

These were made by a man and his family in Falmouth, KY jkchickencoops.com super folks to deal with and great pricing on a quality sturdy product. John and his wife, Kim, are great people if you need a good coop, priced right in Northern KY, Southern Ohio area. He will deliver for a fee to cover his gas and expenses and he is very fair. Work is great and coops are on PT skids, each has a bolt in place so ready to hook to lawn tractor or tractor to be moved, wired and ready to go. You will need to do predator proofing on latches and nest boxes but what a breeze to predator proof and move the critters into their new home.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    They look really good! [​IMG]

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful! Only suggestion I'd give you is that the pen that is going to be used for ducks-- they are wet and messy!!! So I'd be sure to lay down some cheap vinyl flooring or do something to protect your wood floor. I'm afraid it might rot out quickly with all the water and mess that will get on it. Even shavings can't keep up with all that water. Do that, and you'll have a floor that will last a long, long time. [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh no worries the floor is 3/4" marine grade plywood and has already been painted and sealed...it is drying as we type [​IMG] Also, my ducks do not get food and water inside their coop at night. The hen and ducklings will but it will not afford them the ability to splash and such...they must go outside for that business.

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    are you making runs or free ranging?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Runs are being laid out now....6' w x 25' - 32'L long planned for each group of ducks and 4 more for chickens 6'w x 3 runs and 8'w on one of them same length as ducks. So a little over 40'w x 25' - 32'L in runs. Total of 6 runs being built

Currently I have temporary pens outside for day play, some bigger girls and their roos free range during the day now.

7. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    [​IMG] Love It!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] Looks good!

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    They look great.

10. yoyosma

yoyosma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Whidbey Island
    Beautiful set-up you have there- they'll be happy birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by