My new Cria (baby alpacas)

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
I know I havent posted for a long time.. We have been doing major renovations with the farm. Unfortunately I have gotten out of all of the ducks,chickens,geese, and turkeys. I still have guineas and one guinea duck. She is a little call duck hen that I had hatched with the guineas and she just never figured out she was a duck when I had those. But the main focus on the farm now is alpacas!! I just wanted to show off a couple pics of some new babies. We had one born on the 7th and then the second one born on the 14th. Thanks for looking. Check out my website and if any of you spinners out there are interested let me know. Jenn

1454_025.jpg

1454_046.jpg

Thanks everyone!! I just love them to pieces!! As far as breeding for black and gray, I have given up on guessing what color will come out. The mother for the little black girl is a medium to dark fawn.. The father is a medium silver gray.. Last spring the same mother had a solid white baby and had been bred to a medium brown... You just never know what will come out!! June, the gray ones, father is the same medium silver gray as the little black so I want to breed her mother back again to see if we can get another one. I truely love the grays but we have all different colors. In general they are much easier to take care of then most of the other larger herd animals. There is still a lot of work but it is more spring cleaning after winter and then shearing time.. Once those are over it is just small daily chores like feeding and just watching them... It is nice in the evening to sit in the lawn chair and watch them bound around. We found a local feed mill that blends an alpaca mix feed for much less then the purina or kent feed. This blend was check out by an alpaca vet and given the good nutrition OK.. Anyone wanting more info let me know. Also any spinners out there I have raw fleece for sale. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom