My new ducklings are harassing the older ducklings

austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
My 14 month pair of runner ducks is terrified of the new ducklings and it's stressing them out. When I finally integrated the flock outside for the first time (they had previously been separated by a wire enclosure), the older ducks did do some of the initial biting and chasing, but now the tables have turned. My six week old ducks(2 runner and 1 Khaki Campbell) are now doing the chasing and biting and general harassing and my older ducks run away in fear every time the terrible 3 (the ducklings) make their appearance. There is one duck in particular, my Khaki Campbell, who is constantly biting the necks of the older ducks and charging at them, when my older ducks are minding their own business. Does anyone have any tips? Will everyone eventually mellow out? Should I be doing anything?

My 14 month pair of runner ducks is terrified of the new ducklings and it's stressing them out. When I finally integrated the flock outside for the first time (they had previously been separated by a wire enclosure), the older ducks did do some of the initial biting and chasing, but now the tables have turned. My six week old ducks(2 runner and 1 Khaki Campbell) are now doing the chasing and biting and general harassing and my older ducks run away in fear every time the terrible 3 (the ducklings) make their appearance. There is one duck in particular, my Khaki Campbell, who is constantly biting the necks of the older ducks and charging at them, when my older ducks are minding their own business. Does anyone have any tips? Will everyone eventually mellow out? Should I be doing anything?
I'm curious to know myself. I have 2 khaki girls that are 9 months and they bully our little wiener dog. She's afraid to be outside with them. And I don't know what I should do. I keep them separated but it would be nicer if they all just got along lol.

How long have they actually been together? Sometimes just letting them work it out is best unless someone is getting hurt. What sex are your ducks?

I'm curious to know myself. I have 2 khaki girls that are 9 months and they bully our little wiener dog. She's afraid to be outside with them. And I don't know what I should do. I keep them separated but it would be nicer if they all just got along lol.
My dachshunds can only be around the ducks and geese when I am with them, none of the ducks have picked on them but the geese have so it's supervised time only. Only problem with trying to let them work things out is I found out the hard way with my med size mixed breed not my doxies is they will only take so much then they retaliate so it's best to have supervised time only, dogs have teeth and can do significant damage pretty quick if they get bullied too much.[My mixed] got hold of my gander thank goodness she only got a mouthful of feathers but it was enough to let me know it could have been much worse. I also used a long pole and when they geese started to harass the dogs I'd stop them dead in their tracks by putting the pole between them and saying stop. Now the geese are much better but I still don't let them all have unsupervised time together.

I think it took about a week for my duck and ducklings to work things out. The babies were jerks to her, she wouldn't get in the pool with them and they would chase her away from their food. I think they were also about 6 or 7 weeks when we put everyone together.
Ended up having two food and water dishes on opposite sides of their run for a while so everyone could eat and drink without bothering each other. They are all good buddies now.
We 1st introduced everyone when the babies were a bit younger, it was still winter so thought they would all enjoy some time in the bathtub...Sheldon stayed as far away as she could, she was less than pleased about her new friends.
0307181927a.jpg

How long have they actually been together? Sometimes just letting them work it out is best unless someone is getting hurt. What sex are your ducks?
The 2 adult runners are female and the 2 duckling runners are also female. I suspect the Khakhi Campbell is a male, but I don't know that for certain (he has orange feet and I've heard that KC's with orange feet are male).

The terrible 3 are not hurting the adult ducks per se, they're just stressing them out.

They've just been hanging out free range for a week. I'm guess I'm asking if all of this will sort out with time.

I think it took about a week for my duck and ducklings to work things out. The babies were jerks to her, she wouldn't get in the pool with them and they would chase her away from their food. I think they were also about 6 or 7 weeks when we put everyone together.
Ended up having two food and water dishes on opposite sides of their run for a while so everyone could eat and drink without bothering each other. They are all good buddies now.
We 1st introduced everyone when the babies were a bit younger, it was still winter so thought they would all enjoy some time in the bathtub...Sheldon stayed as far away as she could, she was less than pleased about her new friends.View attachment 1562062
I've started doing the water/food at opposite ends of my yard. My Alpha Female adult, who I call the loudmouth, is also less than pleased about her new friends. She's a bit less vocal about it now, thank God.

It's good to know that they're all buddies now.

Sheldon and gang are adorable!

Are you free ranging when they are all out together?
Ducks can be territorial over the pen. Plus fear of the other Ducks causes them to bite. Only time will cure that behaviour.
They do free range when they are out and about.

Funny thing is when the terrible 3 hear the adult ducks outside (after being inside all night in the brooder), they start making lots of noise and chomping at the bit to get out and joint them.

Back
Top Bottom