My new ducklings.

Sirenic

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Thought I'd share these pictures with the community!

4 Pekin ducks, and 2 goslings.

The gosling seem to be babys, always trying to 'squeeze' in there, haha.. ( They are laying under the heat lamp but I turned it off for a few minutes while snapping these pictures or else they wouldn't turn out so well!)

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Aw! They're adorable! Congratulations on the new additions!

I also wanted to let you know that using newspaper isn't a good idea. The slippery surface can cause leg problems in young poultry. I would switch that out with some pine shavings, or even put some pine shavings on top of the newspaper.

Sirenic

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Aw! They're adorable! Congratulations on the new additions!

I also wanted to let you know that using newspaper isn't a good idea. The slippery surface can cause leg problems in young poultry. I would switch that out with some pine shavings, or even put some pine shavings on top of the newspaper.
Thanks everyone, every time I go visit them, they make me laugh. haha, super cute.

And yeah I got some shavings 'under' it. But I tried shavings at first and all they tried to do was eat it! so I got nervous and put news paper on instead, unsure what else to use besides either shavings or news paper :(

Last edited:

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Thanks everyone, every time I go visit them, they make me laugh. haha, super cute.

And yeah I got some shavings 'under' it. But I tried shavings at first and all they tried to do was eat it! so I got nervous and put news paper on instead, unsure what else to use besides either shavings or news paper :(
You know the shelf stuff at the dollar store it has tiny holes and is rubber matting like/ get some of it to use for first 2 weeks. after that they won't eat the shaving, you can wash this stuff and it is cheap so you can wash one piece and use another. great stuff.

Iain Utah

Crowing
8 Years
Dec 17, 2011
Congrats on your new babies!!! I use towels, much safer than newspaper or shavings.

Sirenic

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
You know the shelf stuff at the dollar store it has tiny holes and is rubber matting like/ get some of it to use for first 2 weeks. after that they won't eat the shaving, you can wash this stuff and it is cheap so you can wash one piece and use another. great stuff.

oh yeah, I shall go get some of that stuff this weekend.

Thanks guys!

The ducks sure do make a mess with their water too... but thats natural :p Clean clean clean everyday! I can't wait till their older, but another side of me tells me that I wish they could stay tiny cause their just so gosh darn cute!

Top Bottom