My New Flock & My (not so good ) Knowledge on Egg Laying ;D

solomonsroost

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
HI!! We recently just joined BYC. We have a small flock of 5. Four hens (Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Manan/ Buff Orpington cross & Buff Orpington hens) & one HANDSOME rooster (White Leg Horn/ Buff Orpington cross).
We had bought a used Hen house and fixed it up and did some modifications to it before getting the flock. We also built an add on which is a opened area but covered in hex wire and area of 8'L x 4'W that stands 36" in H. These birds came from a free ranging flock with a large number of birds. We just got them home on Tuesday and that evening our Black Australorp layed one egg. Now its Saturday and none of the hens EXCEPT our Buff Orpington is laying an egg every morning (some times she will lay one in the evening too).
We went from having 78 degree weather during the day the last three days and then yesterday and today it is mid 60s.
I have clean fresh water for them twice a day also have free choice of Layers Ration 16% out for them. Is their anything else I need to lay out for them? OR are they not laying due to the weather change and maybe stress of being moved to a new environment?
I was reading that you can feed them oyster shell as an extra source of protein. Is that necessary though to get them to be more consistent?
Now these are hens who had been laying before.
Any opinions on what I should do would be awesome. Thanks!

WELCOME TO BYC!

You are doing everything right! Your flock isn't laying because of the move. Moving causes stress on them. Put some ACV in their water and they'll get back into laying very soon.

HI!! We recently just joined BYC. We have a small flock of 5. Four hens (Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Manan/ Buff Orpington cross & Buff Orpington hens) & one HANDSOME rooster (White Leg Horn/ Buff Orpington cross).
We had bought a used Hen house and fixed it up and did some modifications to it before getting the flock. We also built an add on which is a opened area but covered in hex wire and area of 8'L x 4'W that stands 36" in H. These birds came from a free ranging flock with a large number of birds. We just got them home on Tuesday and that evening our Black Australorp layed one egg. Now its Saturday and none of the hens EXCEPT our Buff Orpington is laying an egg every morning (some times she will lay one in the evening too).
We went from having 78 degree weather during the day the last three days and then yesterday and today it is mid 60s.
I have clean fresh water for them twice a day also have free choice of Layers Ration 16% out for them. Is their anything else I need to lay out for them? OR are they not laying due to the weather change and maybe stress of being moved to a new environment?
I was reading that you can feed them oyster shell as an extra source of protein. Is that necessary though to get them to be more consistent?
Now these are hens who had been laying before.
Any opinions on what I should do would be awesome. Thanks!

You're doing everything right. Once they settle into their new setup they'll lay again. The oyster shell is a good calcium supplement to give you nice strong shells. Are you sure the Orpington is laying twice? It's rare so you might have another layer. Keep us posted!

I agree about them not laying because of the move.

I have a single buff brahma hen in quarantine right now. She'll be joining my other 8 after she checks out health wise. She has not laid an egg since we got her last week. I'm sure it's due to the move.

I always offer oyster shells on the side for the hens as we've had some soft shelled eggs. Be sure they have access to grit to avoid impacted crop.

You can consider fermenting your feed. Search around on the site for info.. It's easy to do and improved absorption of nutrients and digestion.

Thanks Ya'll!! I had some time to take some photos of our little set up and our handsome guy Solomon. :D
I also saw my Barred Rock hen laying this morning so that second egg must be coming from her :)
This is our first flock and we so far absolutely love them. Oh we also have sand in there run area for easy cleaning with a kitty scooper. So far so good on keeping things clean.

Back
Top Bottom