My new flock -- priceless!!

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
:eek:
So, I'm having one of those sleepless nights, decide to file some paperwork on my desk, and run across some receipts.
Just this afternoon I ordered 11 pullets (11 breeds!) from Ideal, and that's the first receipt that has me asking myself (again
roll.png
) have I really become a gottagettanattachickenaholic?

So I start to wonder: how much have I spent on this new little flock anyway?

Let's see, first I thought it would be great to have Millie hatch some fertilized eggs:

30 eggs on ebay = $62.54 (not all at once, first batch didn't work, second batch didn't work, third batch - 1 ameraucana chick! - that's one expensive little peep!)
book on care/hatching = $4.85
auto-door on timer for coop (gotta step up protection with little peeps on the way!) = $256.18
chick feeders/waterers/medicated started feed/heat lamp = $54.55
vitamins/blue kote/nutri drench (what's in your medicine cabinet?) = $14.82

But wait, Millie just isn't doing very well with those eggs, maybe I should get an incubator and hatch my own...yeah that sounds like a good idea:

mini UFO incubator = $22.47 (oh, and the three eggs I tried to hatch? nothing happened
sad.png
)
I bought a HovaBator later, but gave up on hatching my own and sold it...at a loss of = $28.42

Here's a better idea, why not just order hatchery chicks?

5 chicks (all hens) = $16.14 (from MM - OK, I actually bought 25, but found homes for 20- really, I just wanted a very small flock!)
Now I need a brooder = $69.99
paper towels/shavings/parakeet grit = $who knows? can't find those receipts in this stack.
And today's "piece of lack of resistance": 11 chicks from Ideal (due 3/8) = $44.83

Grand total? (so far, anyway...)

Coop improvements = $256.18
Supplies/feed/etc = $195.10
fertilized eggs/17 baby peeps (11 not here yet!) = $123.51
One happy Millie mother hen in the middle of my guest room floor with her peeps = priceless (insert rolling-on floor-laughing-in-tears emoticon here)

Oh, this means that, IF the 11 Ideal chicks arrive safely and survive, my flock will have cost .... are you ready for this? Almost $575 :eek: That's $32.02 a peep, plus one ameraucana peep at $62.54!!!
lol.png

I think I'm going to go to bed now...

I bet your going to buy another Hova Bator! Just wait and see, it is so addicting.
roll.png
I've heard that mini UFO incubators are the cause of a lot of children's disappointment and heart break. Although I managed to get 1 chick to hatch from one once! Raising animals is definitely expensive, my fish tank is the worst. I've put over $3,500 into my 90 gallon so far. But they all bring me such happiness.
big_smile.png

Hey mudhen, I was thinking the same thing just the other day when I bought an incubator!
wink.png

I started to add things up in my head and thought that if I put them down on paper I might be terrified at what I've spent already! So I poured myself a second glass of wine and went outside and stared at the babies. I instantly forgot about dollars and cents and began to smile. PRICELESS!!!!!

Mudhen, Is that "A GUIDE TO BETTER HATCHING" worth it?

Last edited:
When I got my first egg my father said "so is that the $8,000 dollar egg?" I didn't spend nearly that amount on my coop (god I hope not anyway) I'm to chicken to add it up, ha ha ha. Someone on the other forum wrote to me at the time that yes, the first egg is expensive but just think....."all the rest are FREE!!!!" I loved that!!!!!
big_smile.png
Jen

Yes...you have to call it priceless. We have decided we really can't afford to sell our eggs when we have extra, because people would never pay it...so we give them away to friends. They really appreciate it. No one really understands the joy you get with gathering eggs from your feathered friends.

My first rule is: Never add it all up! Second is: Don't let DH see any receipts. Y'all are right hobbies are expensive just try fishing for Bass. Start with a little tin boat but that is not fast enough and then work you way up to a Ranger. Talk about expensive fish. So far I still have not quite spent on my chickens the amount of money tied up in Rods, Reels, and tackle that is sitting in the garage gathering dust. My hobby gives me food, it also gives me company, mental stimulation ( try figuring out genetics) and so much more. It turely is Priceless!

Foghorn:
Yes, a "Guide To Better Hatching" is worth it - for those just starting out - it has all the information you need.

Other good books are: "The Incubation Book" by Dr. A.F. Anderson Brown and "Practical Incubation" by Rob Harvey. Both go into more detail so when you need to feed your addiction they will be good additions!

James

jimnjay said: My first rule is: Never add it all up! Second is: Don't let DH see any receipts.

Especially the second...shh everyone... what DH doesn't know....will keep me alive!
lol.png

Foghorn, definately a help. The guide is simple and to the point and I found it very helpful. The copy I found was on ebay at http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/countrymom61
But there are a lot of other good guides and books out there too, and of course, as we all know, this place is an invaluable source of more info!

chickenfarmer, I am turning this into my mantra:
the first egg is expensive but ...."all the rest are FREE!!!

Not really sure about trying hatching again, though, we'll see. Never close a door, right?
roll.png

Now...about expanding that coop...​

Don't feelbad about the adiction. Its worth every penny. This coming from another chicken addict, who spent over $3000.00 on chickens coops and all the rest that goes along wiith it over the last year. Very happy the wife is taken with the feathered critters or I would be sleeping with them.

Back
Top Bottom