my new flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jmdarrow, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jmdarrow

jmdarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    west monroe, ny
    Hi everyone! It is now day 4 with my chicks! They are growing by leaps and bounds A M A Z I N G! lots of wings flapping around in There. question....how do i get them used to me? I dont want to stress them out by chasing them around in the brooding box. They seem content and chirping the day away.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

Congrats on your new chicks.

Be patient and they will learn to love you. Let them come to you. Try holding a little feed in your hand. When they are a few days older, try offering dried mealie worms - no chick can resist those. Once one is brave enough to take one from your hand, the others will follow.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Chicks are naturally afraid of a big hand coming in their brooder box. So I try to scoop them up for the bottom and cup my other hand over top of them so they don't fall. It also helps to get them out for field trips on the living room floor. This is great bonding for you and your new babies. Lay an old sheet down on the floor to catch the poop. Keep all tiny children and dogs away as well. Sit on the floor with your chicks. They will naturally run to your lap and stay on you at first. You are momma and they are scared of the big room! This begins the trust between them and you. Let them run around everyday. This will help them burn off energy as well as bond with you. Turns them into lap warmers as well! LOL

Chickens don't like to be picked up in general. They don't like when their feet leave the ground. So don't expect them to enjoy being picked up. But it helps to settle them so you can pick them up as grown birds if you need to move them, examine them or just put them on your lap.

Your babies will come around. Just give them some time and soon they will be very attached to you.

Enjoy your new babies! If you have any questions about them along the way, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us. I agree with twocrows advice. Enjoy your chickys!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice! Good luck with your chicks.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Enjoy your chicks they grow up so very fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by