My new future chicken guard dog

she wants to herd them (she's a cattle dog) and wants to nip them to turn them and her nipping is dangerous. I have taken her out on a short lead with me and she tries her darndest to get at them. I correct her but I can tell her herding desire is still too high. she doesnt pay them any attention when they're in the pen. it's like she knows they are where they should be but if they are out and about in the yard it drives her crazy!
Sounds like you're a good dog trainer ;-)

Another thing I did with my pup was to hold a chicken and let him sniff it, tell him it was "MY chicken", give correction if he showed too much interest as he was sitting that close or when he was sniffing...even let the hen peck him in the nose when he was sniffing. When I left him outdoors with the flappy tied up chickens, I'd shout out from the house, "MY CHICKENS" if he even looked at them. Took all of 20 min. to get him to walk a very, very wide path around the chickens, not look at them for any reason and to keep his head turned completely away when he walked on his wide path.
"mine" is something I teach my dogs. We had friends over for dinner recently and were eating on the sofa, I put my plate down and went into the kitchen for something--my friends were flat amazed Roscoe didn't even look at it--he's been taught from day 1 "mine" means don't you touch it! That command can apply to so many things. I know some folks use "leave it", but I just like MIne.

Crazyfeathers uses "nice", I use "easy" for the same concept. It means be gentle.

I couldn't really blame Eve for taking the egg--it was right there just inside the door. Plus, I give each dog an egg every day when I collect, so I guess she just thought she could pick her own!

Donrae our shep/labs command is leave it. Just like your dog when we eat in the living room and need to leave for any reason we tell our dog to "leave it", it doesn't matter if it's a steak or a cookie he will not touch it. I trained him to "leave it" by placing a treat on my knee, telling him to sit and at first I put my hand flat in front of his face and repeated command. This only took about 5 minutes to teach him, the only problem was drool, then our command "ok" to let him know that he could have it. "Ok" is another command we use for various situations, I use it more as a reassurance word so he knows he is being good dog.
I didn't mean to steal thread. Thanks

I haven't started on "leave it" with Ruger yet. He has learned "wait" while I'm putting out his food and water. So far I've only had him sit for a few seconds, but I want to tell him OK before he lunges for it on his own. I just make him wait a tiny bit longer each time.

DH thought Ruger had discovered chicken bowling yesterday, but after closer observation, he realized the chickens were in his way and he was on a mission. Ruger has developed a taste for chicken feed and those birds were in his way, so he just plowed through them.

Crazyfeathers, don't worry about stealing the thread. I'm happy to read about others' experiences and what they're doing to train their dogs, too.

What a sweet looking face!

I'm definitely interested in your progress with him, we're looking to get a couple of pups to train as guardians of our flock, at least as an additional buffer against predators. Thanks for sharing!

Today was very successful for Zeta and cat chasing.

We are building a new "Taj Ma Coop" as my DH calls it and while working in the yard these two stray cats brazenly come up looking for a snack.
somad.gif

The chooks are in a all sides covered in hardware cloth coop right now so they are safe but Zeta went after these two without being told! I was so proud of her. She kept them in those two trees until DH took care of them. she never left her post.

I am so proud of her!

We worked a little on My chicken yesterday and I think I didnt give her enough credit before. She did great!
wee.gif

still a work in progress but a great chicken guard dog she will make.

Today was very successful for Zeta and cat chasing. We are building a new "Taj Ma Coop" as my DH calls it and while working in the yard these two stray cats brazenly come up looking for a snack. :mad: The chooks are in a all sides covered in hardware cloth coop right now so they are safe but Zeta went after these two without being told! I was so proud of her. She kept them in those two trees until DH took care of them. she never left her post. I am so proud of her! We worked a little on My chicken yesterday and I think I didnt give her enough credit before. She did great!:weee still a work in progress but a great chicken guard dog she will make.
This is my blue heeler he chase cats too can't stand them !! :) but I don't mind I don't like cats either . We brought chicks home yesterday and I think his is in love

Back
Top Bottom