My new future chicken guard dog

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.

He got introduced to them today. Both he and the birds were terrified. He will continue to accompany me daily when I do chores so they get used to each other.

I do hope you keep us updated to his training and success as a chicken guardian....and that this thread doesn't turn into a hate fest saying it can't be done.

I do hope you keep us updated to his training and success as a chicken guardian....and that this thread doesn't turn into a hate fest saying it can't be done.
Will do! Today when we went to pick eggs, I just carried him in since all the fussing they did yesterday scared him so badly. I'll just keep doing that until they get used to him, or he gets too big - whichever comes first
wink.png
As far as people telling me it can't be done, I don't worry too much about that. I've always been kinda bucky so when someone tells me I can't do something, it's more like an invitation to prove them wrong. Our last dog was a black lab - he was awesome with the chickens! Thought he was the head of the flock. He'd keep an eye on things, break up the hen squabbles (even though I have a rooster to do that), and would always check out the new babies. Just put his nose down and snuffle them. He was exposed to the chickens from Day 1, also. Only he got to meet chicks instead of full-grown hens first.

Back
Top Bottom