My new girl is having a hard time and now has broken her beak

Tinolouis

Hatching
May 7, 2021
So about a week ago I got another isa brown to add to my little flock of 4 (2 isa ,2 white leghorn) she’s having a hard time already because they haven’t worked out there pecking order I guess, (I’m sure they will work it out) on top of that I think she was de beaked before I got her so her bottom beak is considerably longer then her top, (will this grow back)? she’s having a lot of troubles eating especially picking up food and also the bigger chickens are chasing her when she goes near any of the food, there’s about 5 feeding spots. she also never has any seed in her neck? (What is the tearm for this) so I’ve been hand feeding her daily a mix of pellets and cut up scraps and seems to work she’s super friendly and eats straight out of my hand from day 1, I feel so bad because I was out during the day and when I came back to feed her she had maybe cracked or broken I’m not sure the tip of her bottom beak maybe 1-2 mm of it and it was bleeding at a constant but slow rate, I used flour to slow it down and it seamed to just annoy her so I put some calomine lotion on a earbud and applied it to the area, it’s slowed almost to a stop I’ve put her back in an isolated area because I think she was stressing she flapping a lot and I didn’t want her blood pressure to raise I’m just very worried and unsure what to do it’s 13 degrees Celsius out tonight and I feel like I’m not sure if I wanna leave her in her own chicken house away from the other girls or bring her inside and deal with the poo tomorow???? I’m sorry it’s a long thread I’m just stressing about her because she is so beautiful and such a good bird I’d be so upset if anything would happen to her.

Attachments

• 70CEC26C-19DD-4F5C-A32B-A2A4CA1FE509.jpeg
    70CEC26C-19DD-4F5C-A32B-A2A4CA1FE509.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi Tinolouis,
First: Welcome to BYC
Second: I'm no expert on this matter so this is my personal opinion. What I would do is bring your chicken in a quite, warm, clean area with food and water available for her (if that's a possibility with her injuries)
I would make sure the bleeding stopped and keep her away from the flock untill she is healed. Especially because the others are chasing her.

Can you get a clearer picture of her beak? It looks like she may have been debeaked. Do you know where she came from? Debeaked birds can do fine with a bit of extra care. Try feeding her in open dishes that are a bit deeper and make her feed into a mash by mixing with water. That will make it easier for her to pick it up. Use deeper open dishes for water also, and raise all dishes up to chest or shoulder height so she can scoop with the bottom beak. If you have large rocks, concrete blocks or pavers in the run that will give her a place to hone the bottom beak, but you may also need to file it down some if it becomes over grown and she can't maintain it on her own. If she was debeaked (when this is done it's cauterized) or had a bad beak injury at some point then it will likely not grow back. If it was a more minor injury then it could, but beaks grow slowly.
For integration, she should be in a wire crate or separate protected enclosure (like a smaller temporarily fenced section) so the birds can see her and she can see them, but no one can get hurt. Feed each group on each side of the fence so they are 'together'. When everyone is ignoring her, there isn't any posturing etc., then you do periods of supervised together time and see how it goes. That way you can step in if needed. The amount of time it takes is very dependent on the birds themselves and their personalities. It is easier to integrate 2 or more birds than it is one since they have at least one friend. It can be done, but you need to allow as much time as needed so that injuries don't happen. Spats should really be a peck and a squawk and a run and over. If there is one bird that she seems to get along with then you can try putting that one bird in with her first, and then reintegrate the two of them to the rest when things calm down.

Hi Tinolouis,
First: Welcome to BYC
Second: I'm no expert on this matter so this is my personal opinion. What I would do is bring your chicken in a quite, warm, clean area with food and water available for her (if that's a possibility with her injuries)
I would make sure the bleeding stopped and keep her away from the flock untill she is healed. Especially because the others are chasing her.
I kept her inside last night she is not bleeding anymore but I just can’t help but feel bad for her :( I will be keeping her in her own little area Untill she’s all healed up!

So about a week ago I got another isa brown to add to my little flock of 4 (2 isa ,2 white leghorn) she’s having a hard time already because they haven’t worked out there pecking order I guess, (I’m sure they will work it out) on top of that I think she was de beaked before I got her so her bottom beak is considerably longer then her top, (will this grow back)? she’s having a lot of troubles eating especially picking up food and also the bigger chickens are chasing her when she goes near any of the food, there’s about 5 feeding spots. she also never has any seed in her neck? (What is the tearm for this) so I’ve been hand feeding her daily a mix of pellets and cut up scraps and seems to work she’s super friendly and eats straight out of my hand from day 1, I feel so bad because I was out during the day and when I came back to feed her she had maybe cracked or broken I’m not sure the tip of her bottom beak maybe 1-2 mm of it and it was bleeding at a constant but slow rate, I used flour to slow it down and it seamed to just annoy her so I put some calomine lotion on a earbud and applied it to the area, it’s slowed almost to a stop I’ve put her back in an isolated area because I think she was stressing she flapping a lot and I didn’t want her blood pressure to raise I’m just very worried and unsure what to do it’s 13 degrees Celsius out tonight and I feel like I’m not sure if I wanna leave her in her own chicken house away from the other girls or bring her inside and deal with the poo tomorow???? I’m sorry it’s a long thread I’m just stressing about her because she is so beautiful and such a good bird I’d be so upset if anything would happen to her.
I had one of my girls busted her upper beak I took her to my vet and he repaired it so that she could eat eventually the beak grew back. He is an avian vet as well maybe see if your vet will see her.

Can you get a clearer picture of her beak? It looks like she may have been debeaked. Do you know where she came from? Debeaked birds can do fine with a bit of extra care. Try feeding her in open dishes that are a bit deeper and make her feed into a mash by mixing with water. That will make it easier for her to pick it up. Use deeper open dishes for water also, and raise all dishes up to chest or shoulder height so she can scoop with the bottom beak. If you have large rocks, concrete blocks or pavers in the run that will give her a place to hone the bottom beak, but you may also need to file it down some if it becomes over grown and she can't maintain it on her own. If she was debeaked (when this is done it's cauterized) or had a bad beak injury at some point then it will likely not grow back. If it was a more minor injury then it could, but beaks grow slowly.
For integration, she should be in a wire crate or separate protected enclosure (like a smaller temporarily fenced section) so the birds can see her and she can see them, but no one can get hurt. Feed each group on each side of the fence so they are 'together'. When everyone is ignoring her, there isn't any posturing etc., then you do periods of supervised together time and see how it goes. That way you can step in if needed. The amount of time it takes is very dependent on the birds themselves and their personalities. It is easier to integrate 2 or more birds than it is one since they have at least one friend. It can be done, but you need to allow as much time as needed so that injuries don't happen. Spats should really be a peck and a squawk and a run and over. If there is one bird that she seems to get along with then you can try putting that one bird in with her first, and then reintegrate the two of them to the rest when things calm down.
I think she was debeaked I’m not 100 percent sure I got her at my local fodder.
Ive got all the feeders at a higher level and a special deep one for her that I have up on my sink as she likes to jump up to be high and away from the other chickens. I have a few rocks around and there is some pavers in there too? I’m gonna add a middle fence today so she can have an entire side and her own house, someone did mention that I should go get her a friend I was just worried that another one would pick on her? I might go back to the fodder store and get one more so she has a friend? When I’m in there witch is quite frequently the others don’t seem to attack her I think it’s only when I’m not in there because as soon as I leave I look over the fence and low and behold they try and chase her (these were the first few days ) now they all just seam to stay away from her and she’s always perched up higher

Back
Top Bottom