My new goat & a question

Sherry

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Southern WV
His name is Gibson. He's a fainting goat, will be 3 years old in Feb. Got him yesterday. My cousin bought him as a baby, now she decided he's a bit too much for her, plus he was the only goat she had. She found out I have goats and said come get him. Brother, does he stink!
th.gif

I have 5 pygmy girls, seperated from him of course, in their own fenced in lot. But here's a question. Big Mama had a baby almost 3 months ago. She's in big time heat and keeps running the fence line of her lot. Her fence consists of welded wire fencing, buried, plus electric wire. Now what if she does get out and gets with him. Is it a problem with her getting pregnant so soon?

Anyway, here is my handsome fellow.

006.jpg

He is handsome, congrats! His hooves are LONG...it will likely take you a few trims to get them back in good shape.

Answer to your question is no, it wouldn't be terrible for her to be bred.

He is beautiful!

I'm waiting for one of my does to come into heat right now... wishing she'd do it sooner than later and hoping I don't miss her. It's certainly easier to tell when you have a buck right there.

Good luck.

Thank you! She is having a fit to get to him. Don't know how I'll get them together. She is not tame at all, and I'm a bit apprehensive around him, he's kind of rough. Plus I don't want him with the two little ones.

Yes, his hooves are horrible. I'm hoping once I get them trimmed the rocky ground around here will help keep them short.

I have another question, this one about leading a goat. I read somewhere that while trying to teach a goat to lead you have to be careful because if they fight it they can break their own neck. Is this true?

I've taught all my goats to lead. The only issue I've ever had was with one little pygmy goat. She would pull so hard that she would choke herself until she passed out. Freaked me out the first time. I'd never seen a goat fight so hard on a lead before. She did this a few times and then stopped and would lead just fine. Not sure why she was more stubborn than all my other goats?

Back
Top Bottom