My new pullets hate me!

Agent99

Chirping
Dec 19, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
I just got 3 pullets, aged 10-12 weeks. I have had chooks before, but not so young. I'm really disappointed that they seem really timid and scared of me. When I approach (slowly, making soft noises!) they bolt towards the fence trying to escape. Plus they stay huddled in their house whenever they can, like teenagers stuck inside watching tv when it's a sunny day! They have a beautiful back yard to explore but when I shoosh them out they come straight back in to their house as soon as I'm gone. The breeder says to call them with treats but they just run away. They are a Light Sussex, a Gold Barnevelder and and Orpington x Aracuna.

Is it their age? How can I help them to settle? I'm used to hens being really friendly.

Patience, they will come around. Spend time in their enclosure just sitting, allowing them to get used to your presence, do your routine in there & get them to accept treats (MW) from your hand. Toss some when you enter, in time they will expect it and come running. I teach mine from the start, MW in a plastic container, shake & if they're within hearing range they will come running.

I thought having them from chick they would be tamer but I've been proved wrong. I was given 5 Blue Wyandottes that were 6 - 7 months, still not laying either. In a month they came running to the door when they heard that "shake - shake".

Don't discourage, patince & time spent with them pays off :jumpy

IF you makes you feel better, all my Pullets hate me. I once had some ISA Browns that loved me and followed me around and that annoyed me, now I pay no attention to them just make sure their fed and sheltered. I prefer my cats love me because they never follow, they expect me to to follow them lol.

We raised chicks from hatch and generally they were skittish of us (except a couple out of 17 that seemed to tolerate us), and we handled them a lot. But, the closer to lay, the friendlier they became.

We raised chicks from hatch and generally they were skittish of us (except a couple out of 17 that seemed to tolerate us), and we handled them a lot. But, the closer to lay, the friendlier they became.

I was wondering about this. Our pullets started laying at about 19 weeks and continues to pick up passing 21 weeks. The Orpingtons have generally been friendly but the BR, Brahma, and EE pullets less so. Now that we are getting more and more eggs, all the hens, except the Brahmas, are much friendlier. I think one of the Brahmas is just starting so maybe that will change. Fun!

That’s encouraging. Suggests it is to do with maturity. (As well as treats!) With the holidays coming (and it’s summer here) I can spend more time hanging out with them too.

How long have you had them?
It could just be that they're trying to get comfortable with their surroundings. As the do, they'll get braver and venture out further.
As soon as I read your post I equated it with how a cat acts when it moves to a new place. They generally hide for several days until they feel comfortable.

How long have you had them?
It could just be that they're trying to get comfortable with their surroundings. As the do, they'll get braver and venture out further.
As soon as I read your post I equated it with how a cat acts when it moves to a new place. They generally hide for several days until they feel comfortable.
Only five days. You’re right, it’s not long. I shall learn to be patient!

Back
Top Bottom