1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new temporary brooder / coop =) Pic Heavy!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foxyk91, May 21, 2011.

1. foxyk91

foxyk91 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    OK so I'm new to owning chickens so bare with me. I first bought 6 golden comets chicks from Tractor supply. I brought them home knowing I had a few cages I could keep them in, but hubby said they could not be in the house. Well in April it is still cold here in NY so I was stumped on what I was going to do. I decided to keep them in the barn in one of the foaling stalls. I put there cages on a table with heat lamps. I didn't realize how fast these little buggers grew because withing 2 weeks they grew out of there cages. In a panic to figure out I was gonna come up with next..I got this bright idea...lol We had some old pallets laying around so I quickly started stacking them 6 on each side. I bought a 4 x 8 piece of OSB & put that on top of the pallets as a floor. I bought some cheap lenolium flooring & put that on the floor. We then put a sheet of OSB as the ceiling & used another sheet to make the front. Added some perches & we were back in buisness. Now I got this great brooder with plenty of room yet they quickly started to seem bored in there. So..I decided to just fence in the whole stall to where they could come out & walk around the rest of the stall. Might I add...this is all just temporary because I bought them a 14 x 18 Gambrel barn for there coop but it didn' t get shipped in time. I like my quick fix though & think I don't want to take it down...lol Hope you like it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Golden Comets..Lavender, Split & Mottled Orpingtons [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My new chicks that came today. There Brahmas & Cochins [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    I like it a lot! I would feel much the same about not wanting to take it down haha, It looks quite cosy! I love those quick fixes that turn out better than expected

3. foxyk91

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    Thank you [​IMG] I thought it came out much better than I expected just for being temporary.

4. foxyk91

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    Anyone else turn there stall into a brooder/coop?? lol

5. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Wow! that looks really good!
    All the chicks look warm and cosy [​IMG]

6. clbdownunder

clbdownunder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    Be proud! Looks perfect and cozy! Leave it up for more babies next year if you don't need that stall for something else.

7. foxyk91

Apr 1, 2009
    Groton, NY
    Thank you everyone. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. It will accommodate all stages till the new barn for the chickens gets here. I really wish I didn't have to take it down but we have to take the whole barn down due to building a new home [​IMG] The barn isn't very old either. I was pretty bummed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by