1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My new tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by margali, Mar 28, 2012.

1. margali

margali Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    I got most of the coop framing done and the first coat of paint on it![​IMG]

It is 4'x4' coop on a 13' run. It will have big wheels front and back to be pulled by our lawnmower. I will have about 6 hens once they finish up in the brooder.

Total thanks to Rossetti for posting their tractor build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-a-4-season-tractor-rossetti-tractor. Mine is almost identical except I made it bigger for more chickens.

Margali

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Looking good so far!

3. margali

margali Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Finally getting some more work done on the coop. Pregnancy delay but goal is to get it done for Sept. 9th. If it's done I can buy chickens!

[​IMG]
    Run framing is done. There will be a door at the end.
    [​IMG]

There will be a screened window above the coop door. The open side will be a pair of large clean out doors.

Questions-
    Does 2"x4" wire work for the run fencing?
    Can a raccoon rip up or shatter the plastic corrugated roofing material available at the hardware store?
    I have roughly 6.3 sqft of ventilation for a 4'x4'x4' coop and plan on having 6 birds. Is that enough?

4. NeilsHamburgs

NeilsHamburgs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    A coon can easily go through a 2x4 gap

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    You must also have either a floor or a 2' skirt on the run to keep coons out. I don't know about the roofing,am not familiar with it. The best fencing is 1/2" hardware cloth, it keeps everything out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by