My newly hatched Seramas -pic heavy-

What little cuties!
big_smile.png
Congrats!

Here is the last one. It's a little wet from getting a little bath to remove the egg goopies.

Seramas4-16-08003.jpg

Seramas4-16-08002.jpg

Seramas4-16-08004.jpg

I'll get better ones of all of the once they are all fully fluffed out.

Adorable little babies! I am on my third attempt at incubating Seramas. Its been a not so funny comedy of errors. Bought a batch from Frank and Deena but they got lost in shipment and were a week late. I put them in, but nothing developed at all. She sent me a second batch and they arrived but again, at 7 days, nothing but yolks. I was simultaneously hatching my own chics in the same bator so I knew the temps and humidity were right. Sweet Deena took pity on my tortured soul and sent me one more batch. We are on day 7 today and I had to cull 6 - BUT - I have 6 very obvious little wigglers!! Any tips for me?

Temp is 101 steady

Humidity is holding at 38% (I heard Seramas do better with lower humidity - odd since they originate in Malaysia - but I ain't in a position to argue!)

LG Still Air (heard this is best for them - not sure why)

Turning by hand x3 and have them in a "clutch" formation - again, heard this is better than all sep. Incidentally, the ones that were culled were the ones on the fringe of the clutch. I now have replaced them with my own cochin eggs I had in another bator.

At this point, if you told me to dance a jig by the full moon while chanting an ancient Serama hatching prayer - I WOULD DO IT! LOL

I had terrible luck with my LG and my seramas. I only started getting them to hatch when I got my Octagon 20.

I keep my temps at 100.00 through out the hatch and humidity at 45%. I stop turning at day 17.

I messed up this time. I waited to long, I could have (maybe) saved 7 others had I piped them on day 20 instead of waiting til day 21. Of the three that I got only one pipped on it's own and they all needed help getting out of the shells.

Shipping is just really rough on these little eggs. I hope to have better luck once are start hatching out my own.

have to ask how did you loss eight chicks
thats im just starting with the breed so am just wondering
i have two that are 3 weeks old now and should have maybe five more hatch this sunday so far the one is a pure white and the other is i white with dark gray dusting in some spots

I had them in with a broody in an XL dog kennal with a small pen attached. Momma hen brought then out into the pen but when she went back into the kennal those 8 chicks couldn't get back over the lip of the kennal and chilled and died. Not pleseant to wake up to.

This is where they were at but this is a different time with a hen with standard chicks. It never even occuried to me that the seramas were too small to get back in.

Chicks037.jpg

corey,

the first 2 will probally be mottled, possible they will go all black, time will tell, the 3rd may go solid white,maybe, i am getting solid white serama from my sparks line. one or two every 3-4 hatches. good luck

frank

Back
Top Bottom