My Nipple waterers are leaking in the new coop---Please help

LauraG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Upstate, NY
I had been using the push-in nipples from Farm-Tek in a plastic quart bottle with no problem in their brooder.

Now, I put them in the coop yesterday and I bought 2-Gallon pails (I have 7 chickens) and put the threaded type nipples in those.

There is 4 nipples on the bottom. 1 or 2 are leaking from where the pail meets the nipple & 1 is leaking directly from the nipple itself. My guy tightened up the ones around the seal, but I dont know if that will last...

What the heck? I used these with no problems before & we drilled the holes to the specifications required.

ANybody have this problem or have any advice how I go about fixing it?

Am I doing something wrong??

Thank you,
Laura

Maybe your driled holes were a little bit imperfect. Try getting some teflon tape at the hardware store to wrap around the threads of the nipples. My husband just went all the way and put some food grade silicone caulk on them as the nipples were inserted.

I would try the teflon tape. When I driiled mine the holes were not perfectly round but the tape sealed them all.

I used both the push-in and the threaded nipples. The push-in ones work great; the threaded ones all leak, even after caulking. I am going to make some new waterers, and will only get the push-in ones this time!

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking!!
It seems the threaded ones are the culprits---

But I thought the threaded ones were better for heavier plastics like pails? Maybe not necessarily---

I just ordered the push in waterers.

Do you get wet spots under the nipples where drips collect? ....seems like not every bit of water will be drank and area under drippers will be wet??

no??
hu.gif

I used the push ins for both my 5 gallon bucket and for the ones I put into the bottom of gallon milk jugs. All are leak free. However, I ordered (when I didn't know better) some pre-made nipple waterers that were made of soda bottles and those leak everywhere! Had to replace em all. Waste of money. Home made with push ins are the best!

thanks.

I am getting the push in sent by Neil here at BYC... do those leak like that?

Back
Top Bottom