My Odd Little Flock

:gig :hugs
I would be so flipping heartbroken if anything happened to them. I never thought I could love chickens this much.
When we planned on getting them, I was excited, and knew it would be fun, but this...
They pulled reluctant silly me into their strange, stressful, eggciting, crazy, and lovely world. Somehow I prefer their company to that of other people.
I mean, think about it. Sure, Mel’s a big stinking butt, but they don’t judge, lift your mood, and are wonderful company. And that first egg....
WOW, was I mad. I was on vacation.:rant
I’m definitely a crazy chicken person.
Me too! We've always had chickens since I was 4, and I always loved them. I never got attached until I was 6, to a BR pullet named Pepper. Sorry Odd, she had her name first! Lol.
She knew her name and would come when called, we never taught her this with treats. She sat on our laps for hours, was the cuddliest bird ever, knew when you were sad, and watched tv with us. She was the best. She died to a respiratory disease with about 20 of our other chickens. We had around 45 I think. I was too young to know much of anything, and dad just let it run it's course, (he didn't know much either). I was heartbroken. Since then I got attached to Cholula, a big fluffy buff orp pullet who was an awesome cuddler, and very talkative, Snowball, a white EE pullet who was the naughtiest but most comical chicken ever, and Dory, a Speckled Sussex hen who passed a few years ago. She was so curious about everything and always was in the way. She loved worms, tried to go to town with us by hiding in the van trunk (she jumped in hours before we left) and always seemed to know what was going on. She was really smart. ( I did not name her! My little brother did. lol) All the chickens I currently have are great too, but I just haven't gotten that "bond" with any of them yet.
Oreo is a butthead and somehow we still have her. She needs to go soon.

Me too! We've always had chickens since I was 4, and I always loved them. I never got attached until I was 6, to a BR pullet named Pepper. Sorry Odd, she had her name first! Lol.
She knew her name and would come when called, we never taught her this with treats. She sat on our laps for hours, was the cuddliest bird ever, knew when you were sad, and watched tv with us. She was the best. She died to a respiratory disease with about 20 of our other chickens. We had around 45 I think. I was too young to know much of anything, and dad just let it run it's course, (he didn't know much either). I was heartbroken. Since then I got attached to Cholula, a big fluffy buff orp pullet who was an awesome cuddler, and very talkative, Snowball, a white EE pullet who was the naughtiest but most comical chicken ever, and Dory, a Speckled Sussex hen who passed a few years ago. She was so curious about everything and always was in the way. She loved worms, tried to go to town with us by hiding in the van trunk (she jumped in hours before we left) and always seemed to know what was going on. She was really smart. ( I did not name her! My little brother did. lol) All the chickens I currently have are great too, but I just haven't gotten that "bond" with any of them yet.
Oreo is a butthead and somehow we still have her. She needs to go soon.
Aw! 45 chickens! Wow!
Did you ever get colored eggs from Snowball?

Aw! 45 chickens! Wow!
Did you ever get colored eggs from Snowball?
Yep! Green eggs. It was a lot of birds. My mom and dad ordered them from Welp as an Easter surprise for us kids. The plan was to keep 20 or so layers, and eat the rest. We kept a lot more than 20, lol. We sold lots of eggs. We ate the mean ones.
We had RIRs, Red sexlinks, black sexlinks, Black australorps, barred rocks, buff Orps, and some EEs. I had an EE named Stacey, (Idk how I came up with that name) but she found some twine and ate it and got all bound up. There was nothing we could do. She never started laying.
Snowball was great. But the next door neighbors dog ate her when we moved.
Remember, I told you about them.

Yep! Green eggs. It was a lot of birds. My mom and dad ordered them from Welp as an Easter surprise for us kids. The plan was to keep 20 or so layers, and eat the rest. We kept a lot more than 20, lol. We sold lots of eggs. We ate the mean ones.
We had RIRs, Red sexlinks, black sexlinks, Black australorps, barred rocks, buff Orps, and some EEs. I had an EE named Stacey, (Idk how I came up with that name) but she found some twine and ate it and got all bound up. There was nothing we could do. She never started laying.
Snowball was great. But the next door neighbors dog ate her when we moved.
Remember, I told you about them.
RRRR.

I know. I wish they'd just buy a cable tie :idunno
I'd buy them one if they'd actually use it, but they won't. Avery is pretty aggressive towards their dog so maybe they'll make sure it stays out of our yard.
Also, (off-track, lol) Avery weighs 68 lbs already! :eek:
She'll be a year old in about a week.

I know. I wish they'd just buy a cable tie :idunno
I'd buy them one if they'd actually use it, but they won't. Avery is pretty aggressive towards their dog so maybe they'll make sure it stays out of our yard.
Also, (off-track, lol) Avery weighs 68 lbs already! :eek:
She'll be a year old in about a week.
:rant
Tell her happy birthday!

Lol! They have good taste. 😆
They’re smarter than the dog. So much smarter. I’m amazed. The lettuce bed is on the deck. They haven’t ventured up there in months, since they were little.
Earlier that day they watched as I picked a handful and chucked it down to them.
Fast-forward and they’re in the bed.

Back
Top Bottom