my old girl is dying

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
It's just a matter of time but as I'm sitting here sobbing trying to find the best way to send her off without suffering I'm wondering if I should just let nature take it's course or help her along. I've never had to do this but I thought I couldn't cut off my BO comb after it was mostly ripped off by a couple of amorous roos and I did it. So anyway, "June Allyson" is in the "hospital cage" and has been actively dying for about 24 hours. I just keep thinking she'll go anytime but I just checked on her and she is still breathing although extremely slowly. She doesn't appear to be conscious. I'm thinking baking soda and vinegar. I know there's lots on here on that method and lots of differing opinions. I can't shoot her, break her neck, or chop off her head. I am completely in turmoil about this. I thought of taking her to the vet but don't want to stress her out and the chicken vet is quite a ways away. help?
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

This is a very interesting issue. One that effects us all at some time raising chickens. The old adage of "let nature take it's course" is probably the best path to follow. And to contemplate that in the animal kingdom only us as humans give any consideration like this. We all feel for our chickens and want the happiest life they can enjoy and we spend most of our time protecting them from predation. Yet at last when it comes time to die....What to do. Let it happen naturally or do we actively do something to end the suffering. I've personally done it both ways and I think either is beneficial. Usually you can tell if your bird needs an end to suffering or simply is just living out that final day of a "good ol ripe age". Best wishes to you and your old bird.
sad.png

so sorry for your loss. she was a very lucky chicken to have a 'mom' who loved her so much. the odds of a chicken being so loved are imponderably low - she surely had a great and full chicken life with you. I also would have let nature take its course in your situation as she was very close to dying, and any form of intervention I can think of would have made her last moments more stressful. You did the right thing by letting her go in peace.

I'm so sorry. I lost two more of my original girls in the past few months and I hate it. I realize that the longer you have chickens, the more you'll lose, one by one, but it's never easy. I really care for these sweet ladies.

Back
Top Bottom