My old hen has grown sick, what can be done to keep her from feeling alone when isolated?

JoDucc

Chirping
May 23, 2021
One of the hens I've been taking care of, Snowball, an eight-year-old Amberlink, has fallen sick (I'm not sure what exactly the illness is, but her wings are droopy, she's lethargic, doesn't eat quite as much, and often sits in corners with her head tucked back in and her feathers somewhat ruffled. Her comb is a little discolored as well.) and so I've put her in a separate pen, and I was wanting to make sure she didn't feel lonely, so are there any ways I can remedy this? I.e. a mirror or stuffed animal?

Thanks in advance!

Did you check her for mites or lice?

have you felt her crop in the morning to see if it is emptying?

Is her abdomen drooping and feels like a water balloon?

she could have a reproductive issue as well.
What do her poops look like?
A picture of her would help as well

As per her poops, I haven't been able to watch her for long enough to know, but since I've moved her I'll be able to tell you later.

From what I've seen, she doesn't have mites nor live, and her crop feels fine, though I haven't checked her abdomen, I will get back to you on that.

One of the hens I've been taking care of, Snowball, an eight-year-old Amberlink, has fallen sick (I'm not sure what exactly the illness is, but her wings are droopy, she's lethargic, doesn't eat quite as much, and often sits in corners with her head tucked back in and her feathers somewhat ruffled. Her comb is a little discolored as well.) and so I've put her in a separate pen, and I was wanting to make sure she didn't feel lonely, so are there any ways I can remedy this? I.e. a mirror or stuffed animal?

Thanks in advance!
Is she getting picked on by the flock?
I rarely move a hen from the flock unless I feel they are going to get picked at by the flock. Even when unwell, I leave them so they can be with their flock mates. I just go out and tend to the hen and access what may be needed to care for her. In cooler weather, I provide extra straw for her if she's not roosting, make sure she's getting inside at night. Check to make sure the crop is emptying, there's no parasites (worms/mites/lice) and that she's staying hydrated and eating a little something.

For hens that are miserable and declining despite supportive care and comfort measures, then I put them down.

It's a sad thing to do, but I won't let a hen linger either.

Is she getting picked on by the flock?
I rarely move a hen from the flock unless I feel they are going to get picked at by the flock. Even when unwell, I leave them so they can be with their flock mates. I just go out and tend to the hen and access what may be needed to care for her. In cooler weather, I provide extra straw for her if she's not roosting, make sure she's getting inside at night. Check to make sure the crop is emptying, there's no parasites (worms/mites/lice) and that she's staying hydrated and eating a little something.

For hens that are miserable and declining despite supportive care and comfort measures, then I put them down.

It's a sad thing to do, but I won't let a hen linger either.
She's not getting picked on, in fact, she's the top hen haha, but from what I've read many sicknesses caught by chickens can be easily passed and I'd personally rather not lose more of my flock than necessary. And personally, I'd rather put her down but she's not exactly my chicken to do that with, and the owner said he'd rather her just pass comfortably and naturally.

Update:

Whilst I was away taking care of the owner's ranch she passed in the night. Thank you all for your help and I appreciate your time.

Back
Top Bottom