My old house hen, Mary, just left me this gift this morning. Have had her for a year- was told she was past egg bearing.

Pabbott

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Mary, my 8+year barred Rock hen was given to me a year ago. She was past egg laying when I received her. Her health started to dwindle so this winter(live in Maine) I decided to make her my house chicken. Well she has been getting stronger and stronger every day. She left me this gift this morning- Anyone have explanations? It’s the size of a green grape. I’m assuming it’s her attempt to an egg? I know since she is away from the rest of the flock she is getting better nutrition. Is that what’s going on? Been battling severe leg mites and winning! Changed her feed to a feed not intending for egg layers. Higher nutrition.
is this natural thing? Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 9A6628D0-0846-4AE0-A822-ACF6B27F79CB.jpeg
    9A6628D0-0846-4AE0-A822-ACF6B27F79CB.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 37
My mother had a rule. Once a chicken was past her prime. She was kept well on the farm until her final day. I guess her love for them is why I do too.

I love to see someone who actually doesn't stop caring for them after they are done laying. Bless her heart, Mary must be happy and feel good which is why left you present.

Also, you gave me a great memory with your post.

Thank you!

I have a senior hen, stopped laying, but once in awhile lays a very little egg, the exact size of a Cockatiel egg...she's so proud when she does, clucks & chats about it & the other hens cluck & chat with her, even the Roo goes gently into the nest box & makes sweet sounds, it's like they're all praising her, too funny!

Back
Top Bottom