My one beat up chicken.

So I just checked her for mites and she might have it. I picked her up and checked her vent and saw little black things around the base of her feathers that were near her vent.
You can treat with DE but IME it didn't work. I ended up getting permethrin and using the 10% spray and spraying everything down. If one bird has it you should spray the rest down too.

Yes, she is laying eggs. I occasionally dust their coop with DE. If she does have mites or lice can I treat it with DE?

Yes, DE--sprinkle on her (I bought a salt/grated cheese shaker at Dollar Tree and put DE in it and I keep it handy to shake on their backs--especially if their dust bath is getting low or inoperable due to weather). I also made a small batch of coconut oil and mixed in DE to rub on their shanks/feet/toes/fleshy parts--that's helped keep off any mites for several days.

Also, have you witnessed her molt yet? One of our 3 scraggly hens just molted for the first time and she now looks like the queen of England--whoa nellie she looked 100x worse than usual during molt--we're all simply amazed at how transformational molt is.

Yes, DE--sprinkle on her (I bought a salt/grated cheese shaker at Dollar Tree and put DE in it and I keep it handy to shake on their backs--especially if their dust bath is getting low or inoperable due to weather). I also made a small batch of coconut oil and mixed in DE to rub on their shanks/feet/toes/fleshy parts--that's helped keep off any mites for several days.

Also, have you witnessed her molt yet? One of our 3 scraggly hens just molted for the first time and she now looks like the queen of England--whoa nellie she looked 100x worse than usual during molt--we're all simply amazed at how transformational molt is.
No, I have never seen her molt before, But she always looks like she is in a molt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-134342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-134342_Chrome.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 17
Ps if it's mites--you could also give her a nice warm epsom saltbath and hairblow dry her--our chickens all love both--craziest thing I've ever seen and didn't believe it till I tried it! The bathing/warm air dry also help clean off the mites and this experience helps to give you the chance to apply oils and treatment--plus help her feel better.

I also add DE to their food which helps rid of internal parasites and vent mites as it passes thru. (Add about a flat teaspoon of DE to a cup of feed)... You can search for exact recipe...

Ps if it's mites--you could also give her a nice warm epsom saltbath and hairblow dry her--our chickens all love both--craziest thing I've ever seen and didn't believe it till I tried it! The bathing/warm air dry also help clean off the mites and this experience helps to give you the chance to apply oils and treatment--plus help her feel better.

I also add DE to their food which helps rid of internal parasites and vent mites as it passes thru. (Add about a flat teaspoon of DE to a cup of feed)... You can search for exact recipe...
I add DE to their food including herbs and garlic powder.

Ps if it's mites--you could also give her a nice warm epsom saltbath and hairblow dry her--our chickens all love both--craziest thing I've ever seen and didn't believe it till I tried it!

I had to wash birds for a show a while back for the first time and thought to myself: this is ridiculous.
I ended up soaking went but found out that they love the blow dryer XD.

I've also done the baths for the mites/lice but again, IME, it didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom