My one beat up chicken.

Ps if it's mites--you could also give her a nice warm epsom saltbath and hairblow dry her--our chickens all love both--craziest thing I've ever seen and didn't believe it till I tried it! The bathing/warm air dry also help clean off the mites and this experience helps to give you the chance to apply oils and treatment--plus help her feel better.

I also add DE to their food which helps rid of internal parasites and vent mites as it passes thru. (Add about a flat teaspoon of DE to a cup of feed)... You can search for exact recipe...
Also, where should I give her a bath because my parents will not let me bathe her inside.

Also, where should I give her a bath because my parents will not let me bathe her inside.

Do you need me to call your parents??? :) you can set up a storage bin as a bath, outside of your weather/temp permits--you can take the hair blow dryer outside too. And a handful of regular bath towels to wrap and dry off. I also use a toothbrush and soft / baby hair brush to gently brush off areas that need it. I'll share a couple bathing videos that I found when I first looked into bathing our chickens:

Looks "mitey" to me, but she could just be dirty. The build-ups around her feather shafts look suspicious too.
Yeah doesn't look too healthy and She has a lot of dead skin too. I read online about how to treat it, so I just sprayed down the coop with an oil and water solution. It supposedly suffocates them. Then I let that dry a dusted it with DE. I am going to dust the flock down too, just waiting for warm weather to bathe her.

Yeah doesn't look too healthy and She has a lot of dead skin too. I read online about how to treat it, so I just sprayed down the coop with an oil and water solution. It supposedly suffocates them. Then I let that dry a dusted it with DE. I am going to dust the flock down too, just waiting for warm weather to bathe her.
Ok. You might want to look for some kind of spray too tho, since they can live on the bird for a long time.

Ok. You might want to look for some kind of spray too tho, since they can live on the bird for a long time.
Sounds good I will have to go to Murdochs and see. I finished dusting the whole flock and Speckals has it the worst. I feel terrible for them and I hope we can get through this. Speckals might have lice too, I saw a little yellowish-white things on her feathers. It was good that I dusted them though because I discovered some other issues too. Hopefully, they can get healthy again!

Sounds good I will have to go to Murdochs and see. I finished dusting the whole flock and Speckals has it the worst. I feel terrible for them and I hope we can get through this. Speckals might have lice too, I saw a little yellowish-white things on her feathers. It was good that I dusted them though because I discovered some other issues too. Hopefully, they can get healthy again!
That's good! You might want to get in the habit of doing frequent exams, I do one of the first Saturday of each month. Pick up each bird, feel them over, check their legs, soles, inside their mouths, check for mites/lice, examine poop, etc. so you catch any illnesses sooner. It's helped me catch one bird with bumblefoot and several with mites before it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom