My one & only silkie egg HATCHED!!!!

my4ladies

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
jumpy.gif
She made it, through all the ups and downs!!!!
jumpy.gif
What a tough little cookie! If anyone has followed my story you'd know I've had a lot of close calls...and I'm surprised she's hatched, let alone w/out deformities or other issues.....(well there is one, but I'll ask at the end). Without further ado, I'd like to introduce Miss Peep (kids renamed her, after about 5 names) and a few pictures of her hatch.

She's a tiny little thing!!

First crack on the tiny little egg:
hatching8-2-10029.jpg

So close:
hatching8-2-10048.jpg

One more push:
hatching8-2-10051.jpg

Egg-head:
hatching8-2-10054.jpg

"Are you my mother?"
hatching8-2-10064-1.jpg

"Are YOU my mother?"
hatching8-2-10078.jpg

Food dish gossip:
hatching8-2-10101.jpg

Meet her friend, Mr. Aflec:
hatching8-2-10104.jpg

Perched, drinking:
hatching8-2-10106.jpg

She (positive thinking) seems to be doing great as far as I can tell. I am concerned that she doesn't have any real chickmates at the moment, but she seems content so far. She likes to snuggle her friend, the Aflec chick. She barely chirps and she eats/drinks on her own. I put her box in the bathroom. I'm hoping with 6 people in the house, and the traffic that bathroom gets, that she doesn't get too lonely. I know it can't replace real chicks, but so far she seems fine.

The issue I've noticed is that her eyes sometimes get stuck closed, even if I pick her up. I'll gently open them w/ ease and then she'll keep them open. Is this something that normally happens with babies?

Another question: My others 3 chicks are about 4.5 weeks old or so....and the other silkie is 7 weeks. They're all outside. Will I be able to put this baby out with them as soon as it doesn't need the heat lamp anymore, or will i need to wait longer?

You have to be careful because silkies have what is called a vaulted skull, making it thin and fragile.

But, like SilkieTime said, don't worry about it. Very rarely have silkies actually injured themselves due to their skulls being that way.

Congrats on the baby, by the way! Just TOO adorable!!!
heart.gif

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom