My Orpingtons have chubby feet. Are they ok??

amberrenee

Songster
6 Years
May 12, 2016
Indianapolis
Ok.. so I live in Indiana and the last month has just been rain off and on. Horrible cold rain. Soggy chickens. Flooding. It's let up this weekend. I check my chickens feet all the time and I noticed 2 of them (orpingtons) had chubby feet. I think they were always chubby but it seems odd to me today. I also noticed little bumblefoot like brown spots on one. But is it bumblefoot? Or are their feet irritated? One had no spots and her feet still seem chubby. Their roost is not awkward. Nothing had changed except it's their first rainy season. Last summer I got them as chicks. I know how to cure bumblefoot from the group but do the chubby feet seem odd? And does the one read as bumblefoot? Also I noticed my hen hatching eggs pulled her tummy feathers out which is normal, but 2 other hens did too!! I found their feathers in the nest. Anyone have any advice for any of this? This is about the blue hen and black hen, 2 hens here!

Also do their scales look ok?? I'm so worried all this mud and rain has caused issues.

IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG
05581CE9-6437-4FC0-A4E9-0D975C39633E.jpg
44C38CB1-C980-403B-86CC-0C4FC254BC2C.jpg
IMG_3873.JPG

When bumblefoot is in the early stages, I like to use Prid. It's a salve, comes in an orange box, found near the bandages in Wal-Mart. Put some of that on the bumblefoot, pad with gauze and then vetwrap. Check daily. The Prid is a drawing salve and I've been successful in the early stages of bumblefoot treatment.

I looked "The Prid salve on Amzon and it is sold there also.
https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Natu...495435477&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Prid+salve&th=1
Inorange container on Amazon
Smile's PRID Drawing Salve, Natural Homeopathic
FAST RELIEF OF PAIN & IRRITATION: fast acting drawing salve that helps skin heal quickly. PRID helps to relieve irritation, soothe cuts and burns, and other minor skin ailments.
  • NATURAL ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: natural relief of minor skin irritations, boils, superficial cuts, scratches, wounds and redness. Made with natural ingredients and made in the United States.
  • HIGHEST STANDARD OF QUALITY: all of Hyland’s products follow the manufacturing and quality practices outlined in the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States. All ingredients are tested upon receipt to ensure potency and safety
  • EASY TO USE: topical ointment that applies painlessly on minor cuts, splinters, scratches and more
  • INDICATIONS: Temporary topical relief of pain and irritation associated with boils, minor skin eruptions and redness. Also aids in relieving the discomfort of minor skin irritations, superficial cuts and scratches

When bumblefoot is in the early stages, I like to use Prid. It's a salve, comes in an orange box, found near the bandages in Wal-Mart. Put some of that on the bumblefoot, pad with gauze and then vetwrap. Check daily. The Prid is a drawing salve and I've been successful in the early stages of bumblefoot treatment.
This is very helpful. I have a hen with bumblefoot and the last thing i want to do is do surgery to take the infection out. thank you!

Just an FYI, the PRID salve they're selling now is not the same black salve as they sold a number of years ago. If you are looking for black drawing salve, you can search for Ichthammol ointment or salve. I don't know how well the new stuff works, but I've used the old style black salve my whole life for different things and know it works well.

The Prid in the orange tin found today does indeed work to draw the bumblefoot out, so long as it's not too far gone. I've used it successfully as I mainly raise large English Orpingtons which are prone to bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom