My own dog, in my own house!

I had this exact thing happen with my dauchsund the first week. They were in my room because I was still deciding where to keep them. I went outside, my son went into my room, my daugher followed behind him and closed the door. But she locked the daucshund in the room! I come in to find her in the box with 2 of 6 of my cochins dead. I was so mad. Mad at myself, mad at my kids, mad at the dog. Later that day I forgave everyone but myself because ultimately it was my fault for leaving the brooder on the floor. I remmedied this by keeping the brooder up. Currently it is sitting in my empty nursery, on top of the changing table.

I am so sorry. We live and learn.

I have a Boykin spaniel who is quite fond of harassing the chickens and ducks. Generally if we are there she just busts the flock up as she would a flock of wild turkeys. One morning she slipped out the back door and went down and collected one of the live Pekin ducks and retrieved it to the front porch. She kept it there, quite live and very irritated, until we came out to see what the ruckus was. She carries the duck eggs she finds around for hours before lunching on them. I am quite certain given time she would gladly kill all my fowl if given time and opportunity. I am planning to hatch more chicks soon. Hope they are tough!
Dr.Phil

Sorry for the loss. I have two cocker spaniels and they were always so curious when I first got my BO last year. We were very careful and nothing happened until they got older and forgot my fiance and I forgot the chickens were out and they got a hold of one when it was an adult and laying eggs. My older cocker spaniel is interested but usually doesnt bother them if we are all outside together. My younger cocker seems to act like they are another dog and just wants to play with them all the time. Don't blame your self or the dog. These things happen. Good luck.

We have had chickens for 5 years without incident. Our 8 year old collie all of a sudden has gotten three banties is the last two weeks. I can't figure out how. The ones he got were older and mainly stayed in with our turkeys. The old banties didn't fly and the dog can't get into the yard so I can't figure out whats happening. The odd part is he can go outside the fence with the chickens and duck freeranging and could care less. He really has a thing for the tom turkey and barks at him at every chance,but he runs and hides if the fturkey gets out as he has been very deeply pecked more than once so I just can't figure it out. I have asked DH to put so footer boards along the fence line about 2 1/2 feet high so he can't see the banties. I don't know what else to do. We have inspected the fence line and there are no holes and he hasnt dug under. Its a mystery, I only know DH has come home to find him eating the birds. Hopefully the carnage is over as there are only young birds out there now, they are able to fly and are quite a bit faster than the poor old banties.I would never say my dogs would not attack my chickens all you can do is your best to protect both.

Indiana Gallina's :

Sorry for the loss. I have two cocker spaniels and they were always so curious when I first got my BO last year. We were very careful and nothing happened until they got older and forgot my fiance and I forgot the chickens were out and they got a hold of one when it was an adult and laying eggs. My older cocker spaniel is interested but usually doesnt bother them if we are all outside together. My younger cocker seems to act like they are another dog and just wants to play with them all the time. Don't blame your self or the dog. These things happen. Good luck.

Well said.
Id add one thing to this, "Don't blame your self or the dog. These things happen..." : Plan ahead.​

Back
Top Bottom