My p-hen.is -p-chicks pen-trying to get in/ Should I let her?

peafowlmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Summerville ,SC
[I have 2 India Blues, 2 1/2 months and 2 Whites 3 mo. months old, in a mesh pen. It is actually a trampoline with the safety net pulled down and nailed to the ground. Temporary holding. OK enough babbling! So my peahen has been circling and circling it. She has tried to peck her way in, even at the zipper opening I use. Does anyone know if this is a mothering reaction or is she wanting or would hurt them? She has hatched and raised her own last year and previous. She was a good mom. She's been doing it all day! She has only braked for water.

Last edited:
i think see through means thet the eggs were not fertilized.
smile.png

Quote:
I am so confused with this reply, What does it have to do with the first post?

My question is if she gets in and starts to harm the chicks can you get her out without harming the chicks? If you can, then let her in to see and take it from there. Tomoorow she might leave them alone too LOL

Last edited:
We usually don't let our peahens incubate and raise their own chicks for a few reasons.
But late this year I left 3 eggs in a crude nest. Three hens trying to sit on this nest was at times comical. This was through some 100 degree days and theres those 3 hens sitting all together panting from heat.

Two weeks ago 2 chicks hatched. I thought this might be a problem with all 3 hens claiming the chicks. But they all get along beautifully.
They sometimes take turns with one hen going off duty to eat, drink, and take a quick nap or preen for a while. Its is really fun to watch them.

With your hen I would consider letting her in but watch closely for several days. She may just want to mother them versus harm them. But you never know.

Back
Top Bottom