1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My parakeet is eggbound w soft egg

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by cicmic, Mar 26, 2017.

1. cicmic

cicmic New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    Hi, my parakeet is eggbound with a soft egg for over a month and a half now.. I have taken her to the vet, and they said she has a soft egg, but she was not yet in ciritical condition. I have given her calcium (with vit D) for a while now. But the egg doesnt seem to harden. She always ate a good diet, harrison pellets, dr harveys seeds, chia seeds, vegetables, big cage, flying space every day in the room.. What do I do? The doctor said he can try remove but its risky, so i hoped it will come to harden on its own. The bird still has a big appetite, she perches, poops and moves, but looks sick and very uncomfortable. Is there a chance that this egg will come out on its own? And if yes what else do i do to get it hard enough for it to pass? Can it pass when its soft?

2. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015

Sounds odd. I would join a budgie or parakeet forum and ask there. If you find out anything please post back what advice you were given.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Try reposting in Emergencies - Disease - Injuries....If it's been that long, I would be calling around & getting a second opinion.

4. bigredshaverhen

bigredshaverhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Under your bed
    My finch recently was egg bound, with a soft shell-less egg.
    I would advise picking her up and feeling around her vent, see if you can help her push it out by massaging around that area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by