my pekin duck died last night. :( Y? sad story ....but help

animallover1

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
i have 15 ducks and i walk in the coop this morning and i found one dead
its only about 3 or 4 months old but it had some food around it and blood slowly dripping maybe it choked idk
but it was very sad and im scared it will happen again anyone have an idea what happened
there water was pretty much gone also so that ties in with choking
we have decided 2 not fill there food at night but still fill there water like always
just to be safe

there was some blood driping out of its mouth not much at all
any idea what could of happened then

There could be a small amount of blood with choking if a blood vessel ruptured when struggling to breathe. I just had to suction my new little goose's throat because she was choking on her chick feed. She was gasping for air and passing out. I watched her walk up to the feed, start eating and then start choking. I feel very fortunate that I was there to help her. I think it is possible yours choked. I agree that it is a good idea to remove the feed at night and always make sure they have enough water to submerge their entire beak when eating.
So sorry for your loss, I know it's heart breaking.

thank you its very sad and i wanna make sure it doesnt happen again. i walked out there to let the ducks out this morning and noticed rite away one was missing so i walked in and saw him behind the garbage can of feed so i grabbed my baby goat who followed me and put her outside the fence so she wasnt around it, then moved the can grabbed some gloves and burried him by the fence where the others live. its was a sad day

Back
Top Bottom