My Pekin duck suddenly got sick and died in less than a day

LuvMyDucks777

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone can shed light why what seemed like a perfectly healthy duck would all of a sudden become ill and die in less than 24 hours.

She was a 2 year old pekin. She laid an egg that morning and when I let the chicks and ducks out yesterday morning, she and the other 5 pekins headed straight to the pond like usual. A few hours later we realized we were missing a duck. We walked to the pond and found her alone in the brush. We brought her to the coop but she didn't eat or drink. She just walked to a corner and stayed there. I checked on her throughout the night and saw she was getting worse. I looked at 5am and saw she was gone
2639.png

She had no outward signs of injury. I noticed one time a very white liquid diarrhea.

I am going to miss her terribly. She was Francisco's (the drake) favorite girl.

I am wondering if hardware disease can show symptoms and kill so quickly? Would you know of anything contagious that could cause this? We had a similar experience with a chicken last month. We assumed she was eggbound, but could not confirm. I would think if it is something contagious, the time would be closer together.

Thank you.
Rosie's mom

Ducks often hide illness till it is too late to help.

Egg yolk peritonitis and hardware disease are two possibilities.

A necropsy would determine the cause.

Sad for your loss.

Thank you all for your feedback. I found out she probably didn't lay an egg after all. I have another pekin who I assumed was still too young to lay. I had one egg everyday for a bit of time so assumed it was Rosie. I still have one egg a day so it must have been the other duck. I have no idea when Rosie would have stopped laying then. Perhaps 2 weeks ago or more.

Thank you again.

Did your duck get stiff within 3 hours of dying?
I just had a Pekin that passed away last night and she got stiff within a few hours of dying. Does this mean something specific? I’m so sad and confused because she seemed perfectly fine.

I just had a Pekin that passed away last night and she got stiff within a few hours of dying. Does this mean something specific? I’m so sad and confused because she seemed perfectly fine.
I'm sorry for your loss😢 The stiffness is called "rigor mortis" and it is a chemical reaction in the muscles myofibrils. This happens to all animals when they die and unfortunately can only help approximate time of death, but not the cause. If you still have the body and place it in the fridge right away to keep it from decomposing any further you can contact your state veterinary lab to send the body to for testing.

Back
Top Bottom