My Pekin Duck

Vicke Lynne41

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
I read over and over that Pekin ducks make the worst mothers. Well someone forgot to give my girl the memo. For the last 5 days she has been sitting on the nest that she made. I know there is atleast 4 eggs in there. She only comes off to eat and drink. She has a very neatly made nest with lots of feathers. If I try to go and take the eggs I get "attacked" by both her and my drake. Which by the way is not fun at all. What do I do? Should I just let her sit and wait to see if she gives up or go in for battle and try to take them away?

Maybe she will be a good mother. If she's been sitting on fertile eggs for 5 days, the babies are already developing so if it were me, I couldn't take them out knowing that. I would say to just let her sit and see what happens. If she stops sitting, you can either let it go or hatch them in an incubator. If she hatches them and doesn't take care of them, you may want to take them and keep them in a brooder with heat lamp until they're older.

I've got my first broody Runner who is sitting on chicken eggs. She attacked me too so I'm letting her sit...

Hope all goes well.

Thank you. I guess we will wait and see what happens. I dont want to take them away now if they have babies in there. I just couldnt bring myself to do something like that. We have plenty of room for more duckies :)

We just hatched out some chicks from the incubator. If you candle the eggs at day 5 and they are fertile, you should start to see a dark spot and some movement inside. I know it may be hard to do since she's protective of her nest though.

She may surprise you though and be great with the ducklings. :)

I read over and over that Pekin ducks make the worst mothers. Well someone forgot to give my girl the memo. For the last 5 days she has been sitting on the nest that she made. I know there is atleast 4 eggs in there. She only comes off to eat and drink. She has a very neatly made nest with lots of feathers. If I try to go and take the eggs I get "attacked" by both her and my drake. Which by the way is not fun at all. What do I do? Should I just let her sit and wait to see if she gives up or go in for battle and try to take them away?

I have seen lots of people on byc that have great mother Pekins. I actually just started letting my pekin keep her eggs today and hope she sits. I got enough for my broodies. Fingers crossed she sits!!

My goose has taken over my ducks nest today. My duck is not a very happy mamma about it either. She keeps going to the door and quacking at the goose. I guess they are both going to take turns sitting?

I had a chicken that did this to my duck. The bad thing was, she started pecking at the eggs and trying to destroy them. Not sure why. We ended up getting the duck back on the nest and we blocked her off an area so she can sit in peace. You might need to do the same.

Here's what we came up with since she made her nest in the dog igloo. T posts and netting from Tractor Supply. She seems much more content now that no one is bothering her.

Last edited:
How's your broody? Mine should be hatching her eggs today! First time for me and I'm so nervous!

Hope yours is still doing okay

Last edited:
I believe we are on day 18. She is still sitting on them. I guess I should expect some hatching in 10 days? My kiddo's are super excited about it. I am really excited to see if the goose egg hatches too. She has been sitting on it the entire time so crossing my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom