My Pen Is Holding Up Well...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Booswalia, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

...considering all of the snow we have this year.

I added a few photos to my page. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=35496 (at the bottom)

At first I though keeping all that snow off the roof was going to be a problem, but the more snow we get the easier it gets because it's so much easier to reach now. I'm pretty much looking down from the banks around the coop to clean it off now. We have about 4 feet of snow on the ground and the banks are as high as 7 or 8 feet where I've been piling it.

It's quite dark in there though and I'm considering putting in a light. I have a red one inside the coop but the pen is not lit at all. They have started laying again thought, since the days are getting longer, but I still would like to get a little more light in there.

2. Pagan Prince

Pagan Prince Chillin' With My Peeps

AMAZING ! rofl ! Such a beautiful and picturesc set up. Loveley.

Then the snow arrives ! Bloody H*ll ! How you manage, I am amazed...... Snow ?! Thats an avalanche !

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Very nicely done. That snow is amazing. Your coop does look cozy and dry. Those are some lucky ladies indeed. You did a great job with the paint as well. I love it!

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Nicely done [​IMG]

5. Booswalia

Thanks. And as I look outside, the snow begins to fall again. Oh my aching muscles!

6. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Very Nice! Excellent job on the coop. [​IMG]

Looks nice and dry for your birds! Nicely done.

E/

7. Booswalia

Thanks.

8. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Fantastic Job !!! simply beautiful !!! What a snow job you've got ..... just keep it off the roof ever so often . The chickens are not getting too cold .... are they ? they could never ask for a better looking , well prepared pen , even though the dog's first look was with apprehension (lol) or his thoughts might have been "is something coming to take my place ?"

9. Booswalia

Thanks.
    No, I don't think the chickens get too cold. They haven't had a frozen waddle or crown yet and the temp has gotten as low as -10C, about 14F.
    I got two eggs this morning and one yesterday. And more snow to shovel tomorrow because it's storming again.

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    You did a wonderful job building your coop! Shoveling the snow can be a pain in the butt but they are some good looking chickens! [​IMG]

-Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by