my pet chicken reviews

Pics
Nice selection!  Yes, I was talking about the day olds. 
. Here is a photo of some of my girls at 6 months old (the EE is not from MPC). I just got the email that my eggs shipped yesterday so fingers crossed!

Crossing my fingers all 6 of my SLW chicks are pullets. I got a bit confused and thought I had to order all 6 (my minimum) one breed, darn. Oh well, all's good. Don't plan keeping all of them anyway (only have room for 4) so if there's a roo in there it won't be a disaster. My initial thinking was the shipping's the same anyway and I have a "buffer" if all don't survive. Besides, I already have someone that wants to buy any of my leftovers
cool.png

An update..... I ordered 28 day old chicks on Sept 8th. They sent one additional female chick making my total 29. I ordered 1 straight run lavendar orpington (and of course I ended up with a roo). I also ordered a "mystery chick" and of course that ended up being a roo too. These 2 roos, I can deal with because they were a crap shoot when I ordered them. The OTHER 2 roos, I am disappointed about. I ended up with an easter egger and a black sumatra roo (both should have been females)....,so, I have mixed emotions right now about MPC.
I'm tending to believe, if you order straight run or mystery chicks, you get the "left overs" of the pre-sexed group.....I could be wrong, but the odds don't seem to be in my favor.
The most disappointing part is feeding the chicks for 4 months only to hear another crow in the morning.
On a positive note, all my chickens survived and have thrived.

I'm so sorry about the roosters. Did you email or call us so we could refund you for the mistake?

I know it doesn't seem like it but the straight run chicks are not pulled from the leftovers. They are 100% straight from the hatcher.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Crossing my fingers all 6 of my SLW chicks are pullets. I got a bit confused and thought I had to order all 6 (my minimum) one breed, darn. Oh well, all's good. Don't plan keeping all of them anyway (only have room for 4) so if there's a roo in there it won't be a disaster. My initial thinking was the shipping's the same anyway and I have a "buffer" if all don't survive. Besides, I already have someone that wants to buy any of my leftovers
cool.png
Oh, I'm so sorry for any confusion. If you would like to edit your order to include a variety of breeds I'm happy to pay the $5 edit fee from my Trust Fund. Please make sure you get the chicks you want.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Oh, I'm so sorry for any confusion. If you would like to edit your order to include a variety of breeds I'm happy to pay the $5 edit fee from my Trust Fund. Please make sure you get the chicks you want.

Alex
My Pet Chicken
Wow, really? What an amazing kindness! I didn't even think I could change my order now without a huge mess (and expense like another company I dealt with last year) so I never bothered to check. I just looked at what is still available for my date (5/2) and would like to switch 3 silver laced wyandotte female chicks for 3 speckled sussex female chicks, all still vaccinated of course. How do I go about this?

Last edited:
Wow, really? What an amazing kindness! I didn't even think I could change my order now without a huge mess (and expense like another company I dealt with last year) so I never bothered to check. I just looked at what is still available for my date (5/2) and would like to switch 3 silver laced wyandotte female chicks for 3 speckled sussex female chicks, all still vaccinated of course. How do I go about this?

Just call in tomorrow during business hours and let them know you would like to swap those chicks out. If you will send me a PM with your order number I'll make a note on the account so you aren't charged.

Thank you,
Alex
My Pet Chicken

Well my hatching egg I ordered arrived today and I have to admit I'm disappointed. I should start by saying that they arrived in a timely manner and were all well packaged and included 4 extras, so cudos to them for that. I had ordered their Purely Posh assortment and paid over $200 for 2 dozen eggs. There were 14 differt possible varieties and I received just 4, with two of those (half the order) being varieties of Marans which has me very nervous since they are notoriously difficult to hatch. I also received 4 Creme legbars, which had me excited until I unwrapped them and they are the same green my Easter egger lays, not blue at all. The last variety was Swedish Flower hen, which in happy about, but just wish I had gotten more of a variety. If I knew it would have been so few would have just ordered separate breeds instead of getting a variety assortment, especially at that price. Now Im scrambling to get more eggs locally since this will be my only hatch this year and all those Marans eggs have me thinking it may not be very successful and I was really hoping to get some better cored eggs. If I did it over again I would have ordered separate varieties and not an assortment. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Well my hatching egg I ordered arrived today and I have to admit I'm disappointed. I should start by saying that they arrived in a timely manner and were all well packaged and included 4 extras, so cudos to them for that. I had ordered their Purely Posh assortment and paid over $200 for 2 dozen eggs. There were 14 differt possible varieties and I received just 4, with two of those (half the order) being varieties of Marans which has me very nervous since they are notoriously difficult to hatch. I also received 4 Creme legbars, which had me excited until I unwrapped them and they are the same green my Easter egger lays, not blue at all. The last variety was Swedish Flower hen, which in happy about, but just wish I had gotten more of a variety. If I knew it would have been so few would have just ordered separate breeds instead of getting a variety assortment, especially at that price. Now Im scrambling to get more eggs locally since this will be my only hatch this year and all those Marans eggs have me thinking it may not be very successful and I was really hoping to get some better cored eggs. If I did it over again I would have ordered separate varieties and not an assortment. Wish me luck!

I'm so sorry that you aren't thrilled with your order! We find that all of our breeds hatch very well, if they didn't we wouldn't include them in the assortments since we want our customers to have the best hatch possible. My Pet Chicken has very high standards of quality and often will remove a breed from availability if they aren't up to par.
We have never had any problems with any of our Marans hatching. In fact, if my brooder is any proof, they hatch very well.
yippiechickie.gif

Please let us know how your hatch goes. I'm sure your classroom will be thrilled with the hatcher full of colorful chicks.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Back
Top Bottom