my pet chicken reviews

Pics
Lost the little Speckled Sussex and the Salmon Faverolle has only declined. I offered them everything under the sun. The little SS never took anything more than liquid from my finger. She started pecking a bit, but when she actually got something, she refused to peck any more. Just enough to get our hopes up. Then she was pecking at the beaks of the chicks that were eating, but wouldn't peck at the food herself. The tiny SF was cheeping around and even pecking, but just got wobblier on her feet. Then she stopped eating and drinking altogether and now I can't even get her to take water droplets off my finger. Figures. The Chantecler, Partridge Rock, Salmon Faverolle, and Speckled Sussex I really really really wanted and the whole reason I ordered from MPC, I'm left with one SS. At least they weren't the ones my kids picked out! The woman I talked into this expenditure also doesn't look like she's going to lose anymore than the initial BO. hers are all the same size, healthy, and active. I would feel even worse about that. I know they'll refund the cost of the chicks. That's all they can do. But I don't know if it's worth all this time, effort, and huge shipping expense! Silly me dreaming of these chicks since January 7th.They should all be girls! They have that going for them! Trying to see the silver lining...
hit.gif

Amen on the not worth it part. So sorry you could not bring your babies around. Sure sounds like you did your best.
hugs.gif
Crossing fingers that your survivors are all little girls!
fl.gif

I should (emphasis on "should" ) get a call in an hour or so from our post office that ours have arrived. Still 18o here and probably was around 20o where they were loaded into the unheated truck at 4 a.m. so unless the driver could still hear some alive and took mercy on them, putting them up front with him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Not at all excited about going to claim them but I'm trying to be an optimist and have their Brinsea all warmed up and the grow gel, chick starter and nutridrench all ready for them. I'm still hoping. I really need to replenish my flock and I have no idea what I could do now to replace them. Sigh.

Last edited:
Picked up a very silent box from the post office. Didn't bother opening until I got home because one look at the packaging alone told me they didn't stand much of a chance. I have to be honest. This was not all the the fault of the post office. i have gotten a few chick shipments in the spring over the years and I am far from a rookie at this. I have NEVER gotten a shipment this poorly packaged. For starters it was a single box (all my prior spring ships have always been double boxed), only one strap holding it together, and there were no less than 26 holes JUST IN THE TOP with the only blocked were those covered with the post office label. There was NOTHING to contain any heat from escaping the top and of course all 4 sides were wide open as well. The box was so well ventilated it looked like it had been used for large shell skeet practice! They were packed in a manner I would guess as if they were going to Florida not northern WI.

Inside the box there was NOTHING but 9 very stiff and very cold beautiful little chicks. No grow gel, no starter, and NO heatpak even tho I had left a note in the message section of my order reminding them where these babies were going and how we could still be cold. I even received a very nice email assuring me there would be a heatpak, etc. It even had a heatpak listed on the invoice inside the lid. I tore the box and packing straw apart, NO HEAT PAK. Did I not pay enough in shipping and handling? Did I miss where a bit of grow gel and a heatpak would be extra? (I have never before received a shipment that did not contain a bit of grow gel and a sprinkling of starter added for the "just in case" such as this post office debaucle.)

Yes, the post office shares a huge part of the blame, but in this case so does MPC. Did I forget to mention? I held little hope as I could actually smell the box before I opened it, but as I stood there staring down at those stiff little bodies mostly in a small pile, I saw a tiny foot ever so slightly flex it's toes. I quickly scooped that one up, stuffed it into my shirt for warmth and carefully sorted thru the pile for more signs of life. One poor SLW had clearly been dead for some time (the smell) but I held the rest, one at a time, clam shelled in my hands as I blew my warm breath over their ice cold little frames, watching and feeling for signs of life. I felt one more give the slightest twitch and another a sudden gasp for air. I rushed these three into the brooder where I had plugged in the Brinsea EcoGlo before I left for the post office. I flipped it over and laid them directly on the warming plate. I gave one final check of the remaining chicks, no, and returned to the possible survivors. Fortunately I happen to be a former vet tech so long story short, after over 2 hours of intensive care, a lot of Nutridrench and a prayer, two of the three stand a chance of survival. The third, a little GLW, is looking like she may just be too weak to fight her way back.

Again, I am sorry but this is just further proof to me that with the proper (and promised) care taken with the packaging, a good heat pak, the outcome could very well have been far better. A 66% (or maybe higher) loss rate is just unacceptable.

I still believe the customer support folks of MPC in Connecticut are great and do the best they can BUT there appears to be a total disconnect between them and what actually happens in Ohio unlike others (such as Cackle Hatchery) who have direct contact and control with their breeders and are more actual hands on with quality control when it comes to shipping. In my defense, I did not know MPC was more of an online marketer than an actual product supplier until after I had placed my order and then read the postings on here. I'm afraid my chicks paid the price for my ignorance of the difference.

Now I have to go and make sure my little survivors are still that.

Picked up a very silent box from the post office.  Didn't bother opening until I got home because one look at the packaging alone told me they didn't stand much of a chance.  I have to be honest.  This was not all the the fault of the post office.  i have gotten a few chick shipments in the spring over the years and I am far from a rookie at this.  I have NEVER gotten a shipment this poorly packaged.  For starters it was a single box (all my prior spring ships have always been double boxed), only one strap holding it together, and there were no less than 26 holes JUST IN THE TOP with the only blocked were those covered with the post office label.  There was NOTHING to contain any heat from escaping the top and of course all 4 sides were wide open as well.  The box was so well ventilated it looked like it had been used for large shell skeet practice!  They were packed in a manner I would guess as if they were going to  Florida not northern WI.  

Inside the box there was NOTHING but 9 very stiff and very cold beautiful little chicks.  No grow gel, no starter, and NO heatpak even tho I had left a note in the message section of my order reminding them where these babies were going and how we could still be cold.  I even received a very nice email assuring me there would be a heatpak, etc.  It even had a heatpak listed on the invoice inside the lid.  I tore the box and packing straw apart, NO HEAT PAK.  Did I not pay enough in shipping and handling?  Did I miss where a bit of grow gel and a heatpak would be extra?  (I have never before received a shipment that did not contain a bit of grow gel and a sprinkling of starter added for the "just in case" such as this post office debaucle.)

Yes, the post office shares a huge part of the blame, but in this case so does MPC.  Did I forget to mention?  I held little hope as I could actually smell the box before I opened it, but as I stood there staring down at those stiff little bodies mostly in a small pile, I saw a tiny foot ever so slightly flex it's toes.  I quickly scooped that one up, stuffed it into my shirt for warmth and carefully sorted thru the pile for more signs of life.  One poor SLW had clearly been dead for some time (the smell) but I held the rest, one at a time, clam shelled in my hands as I blew my warm breath over their ice cold little frames, watching and feeling for signs of life.  I felt one more give the slightest twitch and another a sudden gasp for air.  I rushed these three into the brooder where I had plugged in the Brinsea EcoGlo before I left for the post office.  I flipped it over and laid them directly on the warming plate.  I gave one final check of the remaining chicks, no, and returned to the possible survivors.  Fortunately I happen to be a former vet tech so long story short, after over 2 hours of intensive care, a lot of Nutridrench and a prayer, two of the three stand a chance of survival.  The third, a little GLW, is looking like she may just be too weak to fight her way back.

Again, I am sorry but this is just further proof to me that with the proper (and promised) care taken with the packaging, a good heat pak, the outcome could very well have been far better.  A 66% (or maybe higher) loss rate is just unacceptable.

I still believe the customer support folks of MPC in Connecticut are great and do the best they can BUT there appears to be a total disconnect between them and what actually happens in Ohio unlike others (such as Cackle Hatchery) who have direct contact and control with their breeders and are more actual hands on with quality control when it comes to shipping.  In my defense, I did not know MPC was more of an online marketer than an actual product supplier until after I had placed my order and then read the postings on here.   I'm afraid my chicks paid the price for my ignorance of the difference.

im so sorry for your distress. Your sweet babies that have survived so far are lucky to have you! Be sure to let MPC know all the details. Alex has been great, as has Laree to help get my eggs reshipped after my ordeal. My baby chicks 10 of them are due to ship out on may 23rd by then we should only have warmer weather. I am praying for your Littles. @MyPetChickenI sure hope you can help her make this right.

Picked up a very silent box from the post office. Didn't bother opening until I got home because one look at the packaging alone told me they didn't stand much of a chance. I have to be honest. This was not all the the fault of the post office. i have gotten a few chick shipments in the spring over the years and I am far from a rookie at this. I have NEVER gotten a shipment this poorly packaged. For starters it was a single box (all my prior spring ships have always been double boxed), only one strap holding it together, and there were no less than 26 holes JUST IN THE TOP with the only blocked were those covered with the post office label. There was NOTHING to contain any heat from escaping the top and of course all 4 sides were wide open as well. The box was so well ventilated it looked like it had been used for large shell skeet practice! They were packed in a manner I would guess as if they were going to Florida not northern WI.

Inside the box there was NOTHING but 9 very stiff and very cold beautiful little chicks. No grow gel, no starter, and NO heatpak even tho I had left a note in the message section of my order reminding them where these babies were going and how we could still be cold. I even received a very nice email assuring me there would be a heatpak, etc. It even had a heatpak listed on the invoice inside the lid. I tore the box and packing straw apart, NO HEAT PAK. Did I not pay enough in shipping and handling? Did I miss where a bit of grow gel and a heatpak would be extra? (I have never before received a shipment that did not contain a bit of grow gel and a sprinkling of starter added for the "just in case" such as this post office debaucle.)

Yes, the post office shares a huge part of the blame, but in this case so does MPC. Did I forget to mention? I held little hope as I could actually smell the box before I opened it, but as I stood there staring down at those stiff little bodies mostly in a small pile, I saw a tiny foot ever so slightly flex it's toes. I quickly scooped that one up, stuffed it into my shirt for warmth and carefully sorted thru the pile for more signs of life. One poor SLW had clearly been dead for some time (the smell) but I held the rest, one at a time, clam shelled in my hands as I blew my warm breath over their ice cold little frames, watching and feeling for signs of life. I felt one more give the slightest twitch and another a sudden gasp for air. I rushed these three into the brooder where I had plugged in the Brinsea EcoGlo before I left for the post office. I flipped it over and laid them directly on the warming plate. I gave one final check of the remaining chicks, no, and returned to the possible survivors. Fortunately I happen to be a former vet tech so long story short, after over 2 hours of intensive care, a lot of Nutridrench and a prayer, two of the three stand a chance of survival. The third, a little GLW, is looking like she may just be too weak to fight her way back.

Again, I am sorry but this is just further proof to me that with the proper (and promised) care taken with the packaging, a good heat pak, the outcome could very well have been far better. A 66% (or maybe higher) loss rate is just unacceptable.

I still believe the customer support folks of MPC in Connecticut are great and do the best they can BUT there appears to be a total disconnect between them and what actually happens in Ohio unlike others (such as Cackle Hatchery) who have direct contact and control with their breeders and are more actual hands on with quality control when it comes to shipping. In my defense, I did not know MPC was more of an online marketer than an actual product supplier until after I had placed my order and then read the postings on here. I'm afraid my chicks paid the price for my ignorance of the difference.

So terribly sad, but I hope the three survivors pull through for you! I'm wondering if our temps had anything to do with our losses. It has been in the 70s and even low 80s for weeks. Two days before the chicks shipped, we've had a cold and rainy snap that is still ongoing. Went from windows open or the ac blasting to running the heat, wearing long sleeves and coats. It was pretty chilly here when I picked them up and there wasn't a heat pack. Not all the holes were punched out on our box and many of the top holes were covered by labels. When they recommend the brooder be at 95, an outside temp of 55 is REALLY cold! I think I'm going to hold off on adding to my flock for awhile, but my hubby wants me to just order more than I need from a hatchery to be sure and get the breeds I want and just sell the "extras." I looked at Cackle because they still have a few breeds I want available to ship May or June, but to get over the $20 small order cost I end up with over $70 worth of chicks! Yikes!

Chickisoup I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I was terribly sad reading what happened to your chicks and I hope and pray your little survivors make it.

We're in NH, also a cold state and I was surprised there was no heat pack. This was my first time though so I figured the company would know what is best. I lost only one, a silkie. Though we are treating about 10 for pasty butt, that seems to be resolving this afternoon. I don't know what is best to do really. If I buy from the feed store they are still having chicks shipped in and I have less choice. If I find a local breeder then I'll have to take straight run and I can't have roosters.

I'm thrilled to have such a colorful assortment and over the moon thrilled that it appears one of my blue silkies and one of my blue cochins might be splash. I'm happy except there is always the fact of the one silkie who didn't make it and I wish I could have had them transported faster so she may have made it. Perhaps if I order again I'll opt for June rather than early May. Just thinking out loud as I process our first chicks in the mail experience.

Back
Top Bottom