'My Pet Chicken'?

Jenace

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 3, 2014
AZ
I'm thinking about getting my chicks through My Pet Chicken. I want some second opinions. Is My Pet Chicken a good source? Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks
~Jenace
jumpy.gif

i think its a great idea but you need to make sure you have all the right supplies, time, and money to sustain baby chicks ,but i think its a great idea.

I was very happy with them. I'd never ordered (or even owned) chickens before and all of my emails were answered promptly and courteously, sometimes even with a little touch of humor. The chicks were well packed and sent exactly when they said they would be. The only bad thing was the Postal Service....tracking showed the chicks had left Casper and were out for delivery - even though the chicks had arrived in Casper and stayed there one more night. The temp here the day they were supposed to arrive was -19 degrees. Despite the extra day and hours that they spent in the box in a cold post office holding area, I only lost a couple of chicks. MPC didn't give me any hassle - they promptly gave me a refund on the chicks that died, even thought it wasn't their fault.

I ordered all pullets, even understanding that they just can't guarantee that with 100% accuracy except in chicks with the sex link traits. I ordered 20 chicks - the survivors were all pullets. For comparison, I ended up with 3 roos out of the 6 chicks I picked up at the feed store. I would order from My Pet Chicken again. I've read other reviews on here that had a totally different experience - all I can do is tell you how it went for me. Good luck!

I was very happy with them. I'd never ordered (or even owned) chickens before and all of my emails were answered promptly and courteously, sometimes even with a little touch of humor. The chicks were well packed and sent exactly when they said they would be. The only bad thing was the Postal Service....tracking showed the chicks had left Casper and were out for delivery - even though the chicks had arrived in Casper and stayed there one more night. The temp here the day they were supposed to arrive was -19 degrees. Despite the extra day and hours that they spent in the box in a cold post office holding area, I only lost a couple of chicks. MPC didn't give me any hassle - they promptly gave me a refund on the chicks that died, even thought it wasn't their fault.

I ordered all pullets, even understanding that they just can't guarantee that with 100% accuracy except in chicks with the sex link traits. I ordered 20 chicks - the survivors were all pullets. For comparison, I ended up with 3 roos out of the 6 chicks I picked up at the feed store. I would order from My Pet Chicken again. I've read other reviews on here that had a totally different experience - all I can do is tell you how it went for me. Good luck!

Thanks! That really helps. But yeah, it all depends on how it goes for yourself. Thanks for the help.
big_smile.png

I'm thinking about getting my chicks through My Pet Chicken. I want some second opinions. Is My Pet Chicken a good source? Do you have any better ideas?

Thanks
~Jenace
jumpy.gif
MyPetChicken isn't a source - my understanding is that they've got big contracts with Meyer and Cackle and those guys, and when you order chicks from them, they're getting drop shipped from the real hatchery.

Which isn't to say they're bad, just that their quality is going to be dependent on whoever the chicks are actually coming from, and you have no real good way to tell.

^ This. And you might save yourself a little money by cutting them out and going directly to the actual source. I know folks like them because they can accommodate small orders, but there are other hatcheries that do that as well, and don't serve as a middle man.
Personally, I prefer to shop locally. I've ordered from several hatcheries, and have been pleased with them, but its nice to support people in my community and the chicks are always better quality and deal with less stress when I use a local breeder.

Good luck!

I ordered 7 chicks from them this past May. I was very pleased. All turned out to be female (as I ordered), and they have all matured into beautiful birds. I ordered: 1 silver laved wyandotte, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 australorps, and 2 lavender orpingtons. Here is a picture of how they were packed:

Here is a recent picture of some (-1 buff, + 1 EE) of them playing with a treat ball:

Back
Top Bottom