My pet is messed up : /

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tadaen sylverma, Aug 12, 2014.

1. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

Wolfram here was fine till about a week ago. Bouncing around, playful and what not. The last week or so its almost like she is drunk. She almost never moves about. If you mist them lightly with the hose ( I do this often in the heat out here ) they normally starts hauling it around the run. Today I did the same and it took awhile for her to start moving, and when she did she was stumbling all over the place and kind of crash landed when she stopped. I gave them yogurt today and she slowly made her way over, ducked in to get a bite or 2 then flopped to the left as if her leg just gave out under her. I'm certain she isn't eggbound as I've felt around a fair bit and nothing.

Her legs aren't showing signs of pain, that is she doesn't respond if you mess with her legs. She is eating as far as I know. I will check tonight to see if she is roosting but this has been going on a week now give or take and I am worried to say the least. She doesn't seem to be suffering but I would rather her not suffer in silence if that is the case. Any ideas? She is almost 3 years old and the most delightful personable bird I have ever had the pleasure of being around. Bantams are my favorite now due to her.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Very pretty! I love bantam cochins. 3 is considered an old hen, and my 3 year old hen has really aged this year. Her egg shells are getting thinner and her whites more watery. She gets hotter and weaker easier. I'd try bringing Wolfram inside and giving her some vitamins and electrolytes in her water along with some protein like scrambled eggs (not in the water though obviously).You can buy the vitamins and electrolytes in a bottle at TSC for about $6. I use them quite a lot on hot days, it really helps out the flock to stay active and energized.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    Tried a number of things. She gets agitated if try to take her out of the run / coop area. Can't help but think I'm delaying the inevitable now by making sure to feed her directly. Very depressing. Other 3 are fine though.

*EDIT* Also... not roosting. She sleeps under the ramp up into the coop.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by