my playhouse coop

blksabbath

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2017
St. Louis, MO
My kids outgrew the playhouse so I turned it into our new chicken coop. The whole thing is just under 4' wide by 8' long.

The windows and door are covered with hardware cloth. I also have plexiglass inserts for the windows and door.

The house sits on plywood covered with plastic wall board which makes it very easy to clean up. There is about 1/2" gap all around where the roof meets the walls of the house which should be plenty of ventilation. If it needs more, I'll cut in a vent above the windows.

My four little dinosaurs moved in last weekend and love it. I still have to add the nest boxes and permanent roost rack inside.

Hey! Love it! How did you cut the hole in the side of it?!
Sorry for the extremely late response. I used a rotozip, but any kind of saw would work. Obviously you have to cut thru two layers of plastic. There is just enough gap between the inner and outer plastic to slip in a 2x4 to anchor the little door frame.

So I've had it all up and running for over a year now with almost no problems. The big door leaks during heavy rain, so I'm going to make some kind of a seal around it. The space is a little tight for 4 big girls. I had to add a second roost so they could spread out. I'm using a bucket for a nesting box, but still want to replace it with an external box, just to give them a little more floorspace.

My kids outgrew the playhouse so I turned it into our new chicken coop. The whole thing is just under 4' wide by 8' long.

The windows and door are covered with hardware cloth. I also have plexiglass inserts for the windows and door.

The house sits on plywood covered with plastic wall board which makes it very easy to clean up. There is about 1/2" gap all around where the roof meets the walls of the house which should be plenty of ventilation. If it needs more, I'll cut in a vent above the windows.

My four little dinosaurs moved in last weekend and love it. I still have to add the nest boxes and permanent roost rack inside.
Do you have photos of how you added nesting boxes ? How did this work im in the process of making mine.

20200422_201353~2.jpg
20200422_201353~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom