My Polish Crested is turning out to be a pretty good mommy!

Cadillac Jill

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
She's just under a year old, and very independent. We were surprised when she went broody. (We've never had a broody before.) She stayed on the nest for a few days, so we decided to leave an egg under there to see if she'd "stick". A couple of days later she was still on the nest, so we put two more under her. We had no idea how things were supposed to be done, and didn't really expect her to stay with it for the long haul, so we were just kind of winging it. (Pardon the pun.)

I accidentally broke one of the eggs, but she was faithful for the duration and ultimately hatched both remaining chicks, three days apart. Here's a video of her taking them for an outting just outside the goat yard:

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/cadillacjill/?action=view&current=007.mp4

The little one that straggles behind in the video was hatched that morning, so he was not quite as alert and perky. The other one was 3 days old.

It's been several days, and she takes them all over the barnyard, teaching them to scratch, tossing them little bugs, clucking when she finds something particularly tasty. She leads them to safety when she thinks there's a threat, and has gone on the attack a couple of times. (I had no idea she could look so big and scary!) The only problem we've had is that the younger one gets left behind every night when they go back into the coop. I have to go on an evening chick chase, which is harder than I would have thought.

I still don't know exactly how this is supposed to be done. DH and I decided to let nature take its course as much as possible, and so far so good. I know this is probably old stuff to everybody here, but to me this maternal instinct is absolutely amazing, and I've really enjoyed observing it.

They are just so sweet!!! And what a good mummy you have there. I agree with you - let Nature take its course.

I have two crested Polish bantams and to be honest I reckon I'd have to send them to parenting classes! The rooster is too daft to realise he's supposed to be in charge of the entire flock because he is a rooster. He's the first to run if danger threatens! The hen hates the whole business of laying eggs and on the days she's due to produce an egg she mutters and carries on until the wretched egg finally makes its way out. Then she's a happy chicken. I dread to think what either of them would do if they had chicks to care for!

ttp://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom