My Polish Hen is lethargic!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tressa27884, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    My little polish hen has been acting off the last day or so, today she wouldn't come out of the coop. I brought her out, brought her in the house and one of her eyes seemed to have some crusty discharge and was closed. I rinsed it with warm water and left her on the bed with me for awhile then put her outside in the sun. She's not walking around. She does preen - but......

I gave her some water [which she drank] and some pumpkin pie [which she ate], but she just doesn't seem to be herself. Her head seems to droop - it's like a little kid when they're falling asleep standing up.

Should I bring her in? What should I do?

2. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I've brought her in the house, cleaned her eyes with saline solution, nose also seems a little crusty; does not seem to have difficulty breathing, but not eating, drinking or eating. Anybody?

3. I don't know. I would keep her in the house a while for observation, and make sure you have things to save her if she starts to crash. I've heard of a staff infection, the person was cleaning it and the infection moved so fast from her leg to her heart that she died in a minute. Just to give you an idea how fast she could die.

4. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    You could rub a little Vet RX across her beak to see if it helps.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Go straight for the tylan. IT's a powder and you put it in her drinking water. If she won't drink it, give it to her with a dropper.

That's what I would do....

Sharon

6. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Quote:What's Tylan? Where do I get it? Yylan is a restricted drug in California. Any other suggestions? I gave her a sitz bath. Vent looks clean. Doesn't seem to have an impacted crop. Seeming a little less lethargic. Both eyes open now, and nostrils clear. She's laying in the sun with the two cats......

Thanks
    Tressa

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by