my poor babies

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
I know others have said I should cull my 2 but I will not do this.I had only 2 hatch out of my batch of 12.Both have some problems w/their feet,if you don't tape them do they ever get right?One chick has both feet that the toes seemed to be stiff and he can't control or they curl,other one has one foot w/toes that he can't control they curl.Others have said to tape them flat I have not done this yet.My neighbor he has had chickens all his life said they might still come around after a couple days they might straighten out.

You can make a little booty out of a plastic coolwhip carton or something similar.

Cut a oval or chicken foot shaped piece out of the container (the flat part of the container, or the lid) trim it to shape and size and then tape it onto the chick's foot to force the toes in the proper position.

Leave it on until the tape falls off and then see where you are. Hopefully that will do the trick!

ok I was also thinking a tiny piece of cardboard. Have you had to do it before and were they ok?From what I read it could be caused by a temp. spike.Which I had during incubation that is when I think I lost the other 9.the last egg has not hatched

You have to step in.

I have good luck with using black electrical tape,

THE SOONER THE BETTER...

Have someone hold the chick
I cut a one inch peice press it to the bottom of the foot making sure all his toes are spread out it the proper position. Take a secound piece of tape put on top of the foot pressing it down inbetween his toes "TRAPING/INCASING"
his toes where they should be..

If you touch the sticky part of the tape to much it wont stick good and you will have to get another peice and start all over.

Leave on 3 days - If it starts to fall off before then redo it.

ok before I saw fluff's reply I taped the little booties on.I will keep on eye on the little guys and see where we are tomorrow.The one that both feet are messed up is able to stand now.. They are just so cute.One is yellow with a little black down his back and the other one is more buff or orange color with the black down his back both have fluff down each leg.I have no idea what kind they are but the eggs were small.

nobody is eating yet although they try to peck at things once in awhile they take alot of naps.Chirp alot. They are about 24hrs.old now.

They are gonna sleep alote cause they are so young. As they get older you should see a difference. I would watch there little feet and keep them taped. Hope all goes well with these 2 babies. Goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom