My poor duck died.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pringle, Jan 24, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    So I had 5, 8 week old ducklings in my garage with a big area.I was planing on moving them out next week.I put them in a smallish plastic bin to clean there cage and when I got done one of them was all stiff and dead [​IMG] .I noticed that same one recently haveing a harsh voice which I thought ment it was a male since male ducks usually have that.The past week ive noticed it not as active as the other ones and whenever I pulled it out of the bath tub(I let them swim once every 3-4 days)it barely was moving so I put it under a heat lamp it got better.Anyone know what was wrong with the duck?I fed it nonmedicated duck feed.And also do you think there old enough to go outside in 20-30degree weather?If it helps the one that died was a mallard.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry you lost your duckling.

Imp

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for your loss.....

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm sorry.....

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Thx guys I just cant get over how on how he died,I was planing on him mating with the other mallards and they would go broody and I would have mothers raising duckilings I do know a guys who sells muscovies though maybe I can get a male.The ducks are well feathered out just kinda small would you think I could put them outside in 20-30degree weather?

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I don't know much about ducks, but if you had one die I think if I were you I'd wait a few days before you put them out; make sure the rest are ok. And I would be giving them some vitamins, maybe like Aviacharge. Poor duckling, sorry you lost one.

7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Is it possible it ate something that blocked him up? I really dont know, but I am sorry about the loss. Hopefully the rest of the ducklings are safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by