my poor duck was attacked. need advice

hooperae

Hatching
May 4, 2015

My duck was attacked yesterday early evening (I think). I got home and the poor thing had no feathers or skin around its neck. It is still alive, but I'm not sure what to do to save it. I got it March 22nd, so it's a little around 6 weeks old I think. I read somewhere Epsom salt baths are good to disinfect, and I know don't let it drink the water, which I don't think I'll have a probleM with bc it's not eating or drinking that I've seen. How can I save him? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My duck was attacked yesterday early evening (I think). I got home and the poor thing had no feathers or skin around its neck. It is still alive, but I'm not sure what to do to save it. I got it March 22nd, so it's a little around 6 weeks old I think. I read somewhere Epsom salt baths are good to disinfect, and I know don't let it drink the water, which I don't think I'll have a probleM with bc it's not eating or drinking that I've seen. How can I save him? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Clean the wound with Epsom salt or just plain salty water [warm water] then slather on some kind of Medicated salve like Neosporin or triple antibiotic nothing with pain releif in it. are there bite marks on the skin? watch them closely over today you may need to put your duck on oral antibiotics just in case. keep the injured duck where it can recover from shock warm but not hot and not where there is not alot of noise or movement. with food and water close by. Ducks can over come some horrendous attacks and be completely well again but it takes TLC and if your pen was breached by a predator please fix that so it doesn't happen again. Never leave your ducks out after dusk. That is when preds are on the move. Here is hoping for full recovery. If you just have the 2 ducks keeping them together would be okay since it may help the injured one recover faster but make sure the other one isn't picking on the injured one.

Clean the wound with Epsom salt or just plain salty water [warm water] then slather on some kind of Medicated salve like Neosporin or triple antibiotic  nothing with pain releif in it. are there bite marks on the skin? watch them closely over today you may need to put your duck on oral antibiotics just in case. keep the injured duck where it can recover from shock warm but not hot and not where there is not alot of noise or movement. with food and water close by. Ducks can over come some horrendous attacks and be completely well again but it takes TLC and if your pen was breached by a predator please fix that so it doesn't happen again. Never leave your ducks out after dusk. That is when preds are on the move. Here is hoping for full recovery. If you just have the 2 ducks keeping them together would be okay since it may help the injured one recover faster but make sure the other one isn't picking on the injured one.

thank you! They are free range during the day and always stay close to the pond so I'm not sure what got at it since it happened in the middle of the day. It has not claw or bite marks, it also has no skin. :'( I tried to take it to the animal hospital yesterday (the day after it happened) but since shock wore off it is near impossible let to catch! It will sit at the waters edge but will go right in the water if I come close. I just can't get it with the size pond I have. It is now drinking and the other duck is more protecting it and next to him every second than picking on him. I haven't seen him even slightly shoo him away or anything. I'm afraid inection will set in soon, so I am going to go try to catch it again today, clean it up And take it to the hospital. Wish him luck. I so Badly want him to survive.

thank you! They are free range during the day and always stay close to the pond so I'm not sure what got at it since it happened in the middle of the day. It has not claw or bite marks, it also has no skin. :'( I tried to take it to the animal hospital yesterday (the day after it happened) but since shock wore off it is near impossible let to catch! It will sit at the waters edge but will go right in the water if I come close. I just can't get it with the size pond I have. It is now drinking and the other duck is more protecting it and next to him every second than picking on him. I haven't seen him even slightly shoo him away or anything. I'm afraid inection will set in soon, so I am going to go try to catch it again today, clean it up And take it to the hospital. Wish him luck. I so Badly want him to survive.
I hope you can get him, please let us know how he is doing. Predators are out 24/7 depending on what kind and also domestic dogs will go after ducks if given the chance so could have been a stray dog or neighboring dogs. Even with a large pond most preds will go swimming if they are hungry enough. Water is no guarantee your flock will be safe. I hope you can catch him. Maybe a long handle fish net?

Back
Top Bottom