my poor flock

They were out of coop. I understand that is our responsibility also. But when a dog comes from 3 doors down. We are out side city limits so dog pound will not come out.

I am sorry for your loss. I have the same issue here, I wanted to let my chickens free range, but most of the farm people near where I live leave their dogs loose. There are also coyotes, raccoons, etc. So I decided for their safety they needed a coop. We made them a chicken tractor (run) with 4 different openings and we rotate which they use so new grass grows they can take their dirt baths, and eat buggies. There is welded wire under the lattice. I live in Florida too so I made sure there was a lot of ventilation. We re-purposed much of the materials from a small shed we tore down. It doesn't have to be fancy just safe.

Get a Maremma dog.
Your problem will vanish and the dog will adopt your flock and won't hurt the chickens.

No one has heard of a Maremma, but you could google it and get more info.

One maremma - no more issues.

I love the breed, the lady I bought my ewes from had a couple of them. Not people friendly but very protective of the flock. They are also expensive I was quoted $1500-1800. We do have a large mixed breed dog that stays out and keeps away most predators. She does not have access to the chickens though, just the sheep. On my wish list though.

Back
Top Bottom