My poor hen was attacked.

Michelle73

Chirping
May 24, 2018
C631D32E-0D73-4929-B2F0-88CFF8023356.jpeg
240A1DF0-EA85-41E8-A503-D4D7FD13D6DE.jpeg
240A1DF0-EA85-41E8-A503-D4D7FD13D6DE.jpeg
6DF0E5DE-57DC-4A06-B90D-8A2DEC7D9C81.jpeg
We think it was the rooster. Lots of her head feathers were plucked out. Not bleeding anymore. She is drinking by a dropper but won’t eat. Any experience?

Any experience?
Lots :(
Check her carefully for skin punctures.
I’m really against using hydrogen peroxide because it cauterizes the tiny blood vessels that help the wounds to heal.
I use a mouthwash with Chloehexidine in it, it’s antiseptic and anti bacterial. Use this to clean any wounds.
She’s probably in shock so keep her warm, preferably where you can keep an eye on her.
I can’t see any major wounds in the pics so it’s a question of getting her to drink and eat once you’ve cleaned her up.
Give her a vitamin supplement. If you can’t get one for chickens, one for humans will do but if it comes in a pill, crush the pill and divide into four and give her one quarter once a day for four days. You may find this easier if the powdered pill is in yogurt or water.
Water by dropper is fine for a couple of days but you need to encourage her to drink.
Feed her whatever she’ll eat today and tomorrow make a mash of her normal food and if necessary feed by hand; crushed walnuts I find works as does yogurt with a bit of honey mixed in, tuna mashed, cooked sardines.....
It’s important that she eats solids as quickly as possible.

We have her in a nursery. Got her to take water and a nutrition supplement and some egg. Still not eating solids. But getting more alert.

Back
Top Bottom