1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My poor hens ....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Well I have been spending some more time with the flock since the weather is warmer and I have noticed that all 5 of my EE's have broken tail feathers and the feathers on thier backs are broken and looky messy - I was starting to panic so I grabbed Zelda the worse looking one and did not notice any cuts or sores or anything she is eating fine, drinking, and pooping like normal so I put her back with the others still wondering what has happened to them..... and than I saw it the reason why my girls look like they had a hair cut with a weed eater !!

My little banty roo Clyde - grabbed Zelda and jumped on her back and started to do the rooster deed.
    I have been noticing that all the eggs I have gotten from the EE's are fertile - so I knew he was doing something right , but my goodness he is ruining thier feathers.
    He does not have any spurs yet so I did not think he could do that much damage.

other than a saddle is there something I can do for them? he is not mating the silver laced or the light brahmas or the buff rock, just my poor EE's.

so if I hatch these eggs what would the babies look like? he is a black dutch and they are reg brown looking EE's. will they be big or short when full grown ?

my poor girls

Julie

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would take him out of the pen and give them a break. Pen him up along side or even inside the the same pen. Often breeders do this because the roos will simply wear out the hens. Their eggs will be fertile for 2 weeks or more without him mating them.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, it's best to provide bachelor space for the extra roo's. In the event you need to place more than one roo together, then it's best they can't see the hens.

Hens may remain fertile up to 2 weeks, however that depends on how potent your roo is. Not all roo's are the same.

bigzio

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I will see if I can make Clyde his own space today - I just never thought a little banty roo - could do alot of feather damage on the bigger girls - I guess my little guy has alot of love to give lol

thank you for the suggestion - I will see if I can make a small coop for him also when the weather warms a bit more do you think it will be alright to keep him in his own pen during the day and at night let him sleep with his girls?

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by