My poor lawn :(

Between the drought and the chickens all I can say is... You have grass??? I have 2 small patches that I'm keeping alive because I am keeping my large oaks from dying in the drought. On 1/2 acre lot, that's about it.

100 sf for 3 birds is very generous. They will be fine. Many urban hobbyists have way less.

I let mine out for only a couple of hours a day to preserve the rest of plant life on my property. The jailbreak scene is amusing chicken TV.

My run density is 5.5 sf and the flock is healthy and lays lots.

Ok so they always eat the lawn away. I had let them out in the am after getting home from work but I hadn't actually glanced at the grass while dashing into the office.
Now I can't glance at the grass...it is all gone.
So Is there a grass flavor they don't like? :)

Why not try grazing frames in the run? Basically an elevated wire frame you plant desirable grasses or greens in. The wire frame protects the base of the plant so the birds just get to trim the top of the greenery. Gives them the benefit of fresh greens but does not sacrifice your lawn.

Ok so they always eat the lawn away. I had let them out in the am after getting home from work but I hadn't actually glanced at the grass while dashing into the office.
Now I can't glance at the grass...it is all gone.
So Is there a grass flavor they don't like? :)
They don't necessarily eat the lawn, as much as they scratch the roots up and their droppings are very 'hot' with nitrogen and that can kill vegetation also if in a concentrated enough area.

Grazing frames work pretty good, I use them in my run as I don't free range at all.

Last edited:
It is disappointing to have to restrict their favorite places and activities. I've been closing the gates in the 4' high fence that separates my landscaped backyard from my orchard and vegetable garden area. This removes access to their absolute favorite places. But as the months have gone by they constantly get into every square inch and scratch the daylights out of it. And then again, and again and again and again. It never ends. I'm worried that they'll completely uproot my nice perennials like my daisies and hostas and such. Or they they will wreck them as they bud up in spring. I don't know how many times the edges of the lawn can survive being buried in leaf litter and raked off, only to be covered again. Once the edges are dead they will continue to work towards the center until the entire lawn is dead. They seem to be waging war on all living vegetation.

Jail Break scene :) haha I think I know what you mean.
Mine dash out the door then all run-fly together across the yard.
Then they do little fly/leap at each other duels for a sec, then back to the peck scratching.
I have been wanting to catch it on my camera.

It is disappointing to have to restrict their favorite places and activities. I've been closing the gates in the 4' high fence that separates my landscaped backyard from my orchard and vegetable garden area. This removes access to their absolute favorite places. But as the months have gone by they constantly get into every square inch and scratch the daylights out of it. And then again, and again and again and again. It never ends. I'm worried that they'll completely uproot my nice perennials like my daisies and hostas and such. Or they they will wreck them as they bud up in spring. I don't know how many times the edges of the lawn can survive being buried in leaf litter and raked off, only to be covered again. Once the edges are dead they will continue to work towards the center until the entire lawn is dead. They seem to be waging war on all living vegetation.

A few things you can do to protect your garden. One, place river rocks around the base of plants that you don't want dug up. I use this trick too for things like my citrus, which require regular fertilizer and I don't want the hens getting into it. I jam one of those fertilizer spikes 6 inches into the ground and cover w/ river rocks so I know they won't dig it up. You can also use left over tiles, flower pots/saucers, broken chunks of cement, logs, etc. Get creative.

Another trick is to buy a roll or 50 feet of welded wire. Cut into 3', 4' or 5' segments and zip tie them into a round ring. Place the ring over the top of smaller plant to keep them from getting to them. I have two dozen of these in the yard and move them around as somethings become more interesting and others less interesting.

And finally, to encourage them to one side of the garden vs. the other, I will let them out and toss treats into the area where I want them to focus. Seeds, rolled oats, meal worms (fresh or dried) work well for this trick. They will work on the treats and tend to stay in that area digging looking for ones they missed.

You can see the big ring on the left over the Hydrangea. And right over my shoulder (behind the hens) are some old tomato cages cut down and that offers just enough deterrent to keep them from digging the plants up.

Behind Poppy are two metal baskets picked up at garage sales. Work great for storing tools, collecting eggs, and if you flip them over and put them over the tops of plants, work great to keep the hens out. And so easy to move around.

Loews also sells these fence panels that hook into one another. You can take three and make a triangle around a plant or take 4 and make a big 3' by 3' square. I think they are $20 for two and you'll need at least four panels. I have 6 and I use them for EVERYTHING. So a good investment for me. But the welded wire rings works great too.

Back
Top Bottom