My poor NN hen....

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
Here goes

I had a NN hen that I got last year. I tried to integrate her in and the chickens chased her under the house and she got caught up in the chain link and she broke her leg. Leg healed/abscessed and healed again. All this time she has been in her own pen with a NN roo. But they really did a number on her that evening.

Fast forward, they free range together a lot and they leave her alone mostly, but sometimes will get on top of her and peck her violently. I , as much as I know I shoudnt, intervein and pull her away.

Fast forward more. One night I cant find her. She is loose with one of the reds that picks on her. I look for them both, Red shows up but no NN. I look all around. Finally I found her. SHe was quite bloodied, beak broken, open wound. My guess is that the Red got at her again since the wound look like claws (they are easy to analyze on her NN). And because the reds behavior was funny that night. Everyone was accounted for so I am pretty sure no predator got at her. ALso, everyone else was fine, no one was upset, etc.

Now. She is still in her own small pen. She seems to want to be in with them. Some nights after free ranging when I go to shut them away, she is in there house, all proudly roosting. Based on her history, I pull her out and put her in her own house. Even tonight though, she seems to want to go in their pen.

My question to you is...would you trust her with them??? They seem to not like her in particular as they are fine with other integrated hens. Would you give it another go or based on the history, am I doing the right thing by forcing her back into her own house, even though she is not as happy? She is my favorite hen......maybe they worked it out that night that I wasnt there to intervein but I am nervous that one morning I will head out there and she will be dead....

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas on whether I can house these guys together or not?? Or any experience with one hen beating the snot out of other hens to this level?

I have to say that I don't have any experience with NNs but can you get her another NN friend? Maybe they wouldn't pick on each other. . .

She wants to back with them because they're her flock and she's lonely without them...even if they beat the crud out of her...

I'd keep her separate and get her a NN friend...I'd rather buy a buddy or two for her than have to find a pecked to death body someday...

I like Spotted Crow's idea. Get her some buddies ASAP. Someone wrote a bunny is a good companion too.

Good luck and do let me know if you need help finding a friend quickly - I may have a surplus here by the end of the month.

No, I would NOT trust her with them. She's lonely because she is a flock creature, not designed to be alone. Don't let her wanting to be with them, fool you, they will kill her and it's surprising they hadn't already with the conditions you have found her in.

I had a silkie that would pace and pace wanting to be in with my sex-links, well we got her a few friends and she was better off. One day, the roo got in with her and ran her out of her pen and into the sex-link's. She died, and probably not pretty either, while I was on vacation.

I would just get her a friend or two. It doesn't take many, at least 1, and they could be something like a silkie or another NN, or maybe even a few bantams.

-Kim

I do have a bantam NN frizzle that it 7 weeks now...she will go in with her as soon as possible. She is in with a NN roo now, but as I said, he "bugs her to much.

Thanks for all yoru advice! That is exactly what I thought I just needed some reassurance as I felt so sad for her!

I am a CVT, I took care of peoples pets for 10 years and I have had chickens and doll out advice constantly---BUT isnt it AMAZING on how when it somes to you own pets you have no idea what to do and you need constant reassurance!

Thanks again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom